Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today

5 posters

Go down

Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today Empty Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today

Post by clouddancer Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:40 pm

A hiker from Kansas fell to his death along the trail to Hawksbill Crag this afternoon. Ernst was the first one on the scene and found the body - the hiker had died on impact. It took several hours to hoist the body back up the 70-foot tall bluff, and then another hour to carry him back out to a county road. More than 30 government and volunteer search and rescue folks came together for the recovery mission - these folks do an incredible job. Please be careful out there.

clouddancer
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today Empty Re: Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today

Post by Outrider Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 pm

That is the one thing I fear the most about taking my boys out onto the trail with me. My heart goes out to his family.

Outrider
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today Empty Re: Hiker Dies Near Hawksbill Crag Today

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 am

This is very sad. I hope this needless death and others doesn't lead to more regulations in the backcountry.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by clouddancer Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am

No need for regulations - it was a simple accident. The young man climbed up onto a large rock to get a better view, then slipped and fell to his death. Could have happened to anyone, anywhere. The bluffline in this wilderness area is more than 75 miles long. If you built a fence around every bluffline in the world people would still fall off and die. Life is dangerous - the most dangerous part of being in the woods is driving to and from the trailhead. Actually one point that I find quite amazing, especially considering how many people visit each year and how close many of them come to the edge - no one has ever fallen off of the nearby Hawksbill Crag.

clouddancer
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

This really bums me out. I was just there about a week ago.

Rest in peace friend.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 am

I really get nervous around ledges. You'd think I'd be use to them by now, but they make my legs jitter. When I encounter hikers and lookers that haven't been around them much, and see them sit down on the edge and dangle their feet, I really get nervous! Especially if I've accompanied them, their fall is not something I want to deal with or have to explain.
Coldspring
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down