Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness

4 posters

Go down

Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness Empty Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness

Post by clouddancer Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:34 pm

A hiker fell to his death from a tall bluff sometime yesterday or last night. He was parked at the Boen Gulf wilderness access point. The search team was called in during the night when he failed to arrive back home yesterday from a dayhike into the wilderness area. The SAR team found his body at the base of a tall bluff today, and he was in the water. This area is located downstream from several of the waterfalls in the area, but it did not appear that he had fallen off of the top of any of the waterfalls, but rather fell from a much taller bluff that was located downstream.

This, of course, can happen to anyone, experienced or not, with a SPOT or not, alone or not. The chances of getting hit by a truck are much higher than falling off a bluff in the wilderness, but it really doesn't matter. No one is promised tomorrow. The best thing to do is to live every moment of your life like it may be your last day, treat everyone with love and respect, and be extra careful no matter where you go...

clouddancer
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness Empty Re: Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Clouddancer,

Thanks for that report. Al though I feel for his family. When in the Wilderness you aren't promised a safe passage, got to watch your step for sure.
I have often told the wife when I go I hope it is in the wilderness, just not ready to go any time soon!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness Empty Re: Hiker Dies in Upper Buffalo Wilderness

Post by Coldspring Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:11 am

Coldspring
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita explorers Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Our hearts go out to his wife and family.
ouachita explorers
ouachita explorers
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 pm

I think the story seems to be reworded, says that he slipped on ice.

If I understand the story correctly, he was a surveyor and was scheduled to start surveying for the construction of a new Newton Co. jail today.
Coldspring
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down