Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving!

5 posters

Go down

Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Empty Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving!

Post by Drsandman2 Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm considering hiking the OT shortly after Thanksgiving. I've been doing backcountry trail work for National Forests across Oregon and Arizona and at state parks around Texas for the past year, so I'm well-seasoned and in good shape. So I have a couple of questions...

How long do people usually take to hike the entire stretch? How serious of a problem is it to find a water source? Is the trail easy to follow? Any recommendations for hiking it solo... I can't seem to find a partner.

Thanks,

Russ
Drsandman2
Drsandman2
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Empty Re: Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving!

Post by Dfieldhiker Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Russ

First of all welcome to the site. I wish I could do the entire OT.

I have not been on the trail in a few years but I know it was well constructed in the begining. It was marked originally with metal makers in the ground but many of those have been covered.I think most of it has been blased now. As with all trails, useage is the key and some of the OT gets used a lot more than others. I am sure you know how to backtrack and when I was there it was necessary a few times.

There will be others on the site later who know a lot more. Some of them do maintenance.

Have you looked at a site called "Friends of the Ouachita Trail"?
Dfieldhiker
Dfieldhiker
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Empty Nice!

Post by Drsandman2 Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for the link and the info!
Drsandman2
Drsandman2
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Glad to have ya Russ. I am suprised that Tom (ouachita hiker) hasn't chimed in yet. He and his wife maintain sections on that trail and are very knowledgeable about the OT. By the way where are you from?

ED
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Drsandman2 Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:20 pm

I'm from Dallas, but actually attended high school in Talihina, Oklahoma. College was in Iowa and I spent 3 years in Austin, Texas. I've always wanted to do the OT, even back as a young boy scout. I found a lot of great info at FoOT and maps at the federal site. Hopefully I can find a copy of the Trail Guide around here some place.

And if someone happens to have a sharp one-man crosscut, I wouldn't mind removing hazards on the way. I've been running chainsaw (up to 36") and cross-cuts (up to 7ft) for the past 11 months.
Drsandman2
Drsandman2
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Ok, Ed rattled my chain! Hey guys I am here been very busy, recovering from knee and foot problems and now on the mend. The Ouachita Trail is now in very good shape. Go HERE for trail conditions. Also there is going to be a MAJOR effort to clean up the OK sections of the trail starting this Friday! Members of FoOT, including myself and my wife, will be camping out at Cedar Lake Rec. Area and from Friday to next Monday will be doing tread work, brush work, blazing, and rebuilding some bridges. Because of a football playoff game Fri. night we won't get there till Sat. afternoon and will be doing trail work this Sunday.

Also may I recommend that you go HERE for a map put out jointly between the FS and FoOT.
For Tim Ernst Ouachita Trail Guide #4 go HERE (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page)
And last but not least go HERE for Charlie Williams web site were you can down load and copy free maps of
the OT and many other popular trails.

This should keep you busy!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Drsandman2 Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for the info, OH. Great resources!

So is the end considered Pinnacle at 223? What about fishing holes or other cool things off the path at which I may want to take a day off.
Drsandman2
Drsandman2
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by John Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Welcome to the forums, Russ. I just completed sections 9 & 10 of the OT. Finding water was not a problem on them. Because of all of the private property the trail goes through here, it's hard to find suitable campsites. Yes, the visitors center at Pinnacle Mtn SP marks the eastern terminus of the trail.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Russ,

Well you will be crossing quite a few streams that should hold fish. The first that I can think of is the Kiamici in OK.
With something like 15 crossings you are bound to find a fishing hole there. Also there are many streams on the AR side but remember that most of the trail follows ridge tops. You might like to check out the Blackfork Wilderness trail. It branches of the OT after you cross the Ouachita river. It goes up, up and up some more! There is a beautiful stand of old growth oaks, the stunted oak variety or what Tim Ernest calls Wizard trees. Also a old homestead is up there. By the way some of those old metal disc mile markers still exist! I have seen some of them, they are neat to find.

Go to THREAD and scroll down about half way and you will see original mile marker #63. Also trail work pics from last Feb.

Also HERE is a trip report and pics of the Blackfork Wilderness trail

Hope this helps you....

ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 am

Tom,

Thanks for the link to that report and pics. The Black Fork Mountain Trail is on my list to do very soon. Have you heard from Jay lately or is he MIA?
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 am

Ed,

I don't know were Jay is or what is up. He last posted as far as I know back in April. If you notice he said that he was going to post updated scores on the contest but nothing has been done. I don't know if he is still in MO or were ever. His father is in AZ. Inquiring backpackers want to know?? Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_eek Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_eek Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_eek

Were is Jay Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_question Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_question Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_question Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_question Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_question Hiking the OT after Thanksgiving! Icon_question
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dfieldhiker Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:15 am

Russ

It is very exciting for me to think about doing the entire OT. You will have cell service periodically. Would you volunteer to Text me your progress while I have to do my part to stomp out ignorance. If anyone else was interested I would be glad to post it to the board. Kind of a generic twitter.
Dfieldhiker
Dfieldhiker
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:22 am

Great idea, DField. We had cell reception virtually the whole time on Sect. 9 & 10.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down