Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so!

3 posters

Go down

Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so! Empty Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so!

Post by colt1911carry Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:20 pm

CNN has just discovered what we backpackers have known for years: The natural high one gets from hiking or climbing can produce a flood of endorphins that matches or even surpasses those experienced during sex.

Of course, according to the article, some people experience the same rush from shoe shopping, sky diving, or public speaking. But I'd argue that those activities don't possess the same built-in readiness for sexy, sexy metaphors.

Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so! Art.durvasula.lw

"Hiking and climbing mountains is better than sex," says Ramani Durvasula, a professor at California State University Los Angeles who discovered the sport last year after reaching a big weight loss goal.

"When you pull yourself up onto a summit -- and climax, so to speak, particularly as a woman -- the sheer physicality, beauty and endurance are like no other feeling on earth," she explains.

Yes! I think Prof. Durvasula can probably expect to teach uncommonly full classes this semester.

The article goes on to warn that any endorphin-producing activity can become potentially addictive, but in the hiker's case, this probably isn't so much of a bad thing. Worst comes to worst, you'll just pick up a goofy nickname and start engaging in back-to-back thru-hike challenges. Or turn into Andrew Skurka.

— Ted Alvarez (Backpacker Magazine)

Ok. For my first article, I wanted to be a little silly. So here it is. My take on the subject is that anyone who thinks hiking is better than sex must not be married to my wife. Smile

- Colt

Last edited by colt1911carry on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so! Empty Re: Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so!

Post by Preacha Man Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:30 pm

colt1911carry wrote:

Ok. For my first article, I wanted to be a little silly. So here it is. My take on the subject is that anyone who thinks hiking is better than sex must not be married to my wife. Smile

- Colt

Great article Colt,

I would agree with you about hiking not being the same as being with my wife. Maybe the woman who mentioned the study is not married Wink .

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so! Empty Re: Hiking better than sex? Say it ain't so!

Post by colt1911carry Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Preacha Man wrote:
colt1911carry wrote:

- Colt

Great article Colt,

I would agree with you about hiking not being the same as being with my wife. Maybe the woman who mentioned the study is not married Wink .

Dwight

I kinda had to say that. My wife was reading over my shoulder as I was typing! Wink
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:05 pm

hmmmm... I may have to research this first hand.. er yeah....hahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down