Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hiking 101

4 posters

Go down

hiking 101 Empty hiking 101

Post by Clif Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Don'tcha luv showing newbies? That's what we did today .... on a coupla levels. Went to 3 spots around Fairfield Bay. Found 2 of them chasing caches. Went back today after the rains with plenty of runoff for some GREAT waterfalls. All tho I really wanted to be on a river, no babysitter, I enjoyed today mucho.

If you can see the pics I put on the album page here, they are a few samples of were we went. The lady has been droppiing hints after seeing pics at work of our expeditions. Finally hit it where her hubby was able. And the youngun was the added bonus. She loved it. Well... slept down one of the hills as her mom and dad rock hopped down the creek. So this was a very 1st for her and mom has only hit a few trails in places like Petit Jean. I tried to keep them short today to be certain she would ride ok.. but given this shakedown cruise, I think we be in for more. Had a wonderful lunch under the waterfall.

We did some trails, some bushwack/rock hop creeking, and a pretty serious climb. All had a great time on a beautiful day.. even tho early on had me worried. Stayed out of the wind on the south slopes this morning and no worries.

101 grades mom A, young Aly A+ extra credit, her dad, B (he whined about the pack a little) and my young guy an A for coping with the serious slopes quite well. The 10 year old was along too, which raises the question... just how many rocks can 2 little boys throw into a creek???
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

hiking 101 Empty Re: hiking 101

Post by Trail Monkey Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Clif they can throw one hell of a lot if you show them how and teach them proper use of a slingshot Wink... A "TRUE" slingshot. Not a wrist rocket like you buy in Wally World. lol lot of fun to build them too.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Clif,

Looks like you and all had a great day out. Sure was nice out today. The wife is still recovering from a case of strep throut, we got out for a little while. The first time she has been out since Tuesday. I spent my day cleaning a old rusted crosscut saw that the FS has lent us to use in Caney Creek. You can actually start to see metal now! We will get our hiking in late in the week.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 pm

I spent the day with my wife and two daughters at Lake Ouachita. This was the first time for us and I still can't get over the beauty and the lake was pretty too. We hiked a mile down the caddo bend trail and found a nice little point to eat our picnic lunch that we packed in. Then we skipped rocks until our arms fell off and found some huge quartz crystals that were as clear as ice. The caddo bend trail looks like a super trail, I definately am gonna spend some time here in the furure. We also went and found the trail head for the Little Blakely Loop Trails. I can see me spending time here in the future also. What an awsome day!!!!

Tom: tell Janet that I hope she feels better very soon.
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, I wuz asked by my son and our friends, where is the next one gonna be. Guess I did something right. I think all enjoyed our Sat to the max.

With ice damage being an unknown in some of our more familiar areas, I am thinking of looking Ouachita way.. anyway.. I now have a crew.
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down