Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian creek/eye of the Needle?

+11
Dfieldhiker
tyeb0279
clouddancer
rob_hanlon
Preacha Man
chili
zenlizard
east_stingray
Coldspring
Trail Monkey
Clif
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Empty Re: Indian creek/eye of the Needle?

Post by ED Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Please re-upload those are great pictures.
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Empty Re: Indian creek/eye of the Needle?

Post by Dfieldhiker Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:49 am

Did you come in from the top?
Dfieldhiker
Dfieldhiker
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by tyeb0279 Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Ed,

I'm looking at the pics from work now, and they aren't chopped off like at home. I'm not sure how to upload them differently, are you?

Dfield,

I came in from the bottom from Kyle's.

Ty

tyeb0279
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by John Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Dfieldhiker wrote:Tye

How far did you go and how safe was it. The stats have really scared me away but would love to see some of it. It is a 59 thing.

DField,

I did this 3 or 4 years ago at about your age and made it. I think you can make it too. Take it slowly and turn back if you're not comfortable. It's very scenic back there.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm

tyeb0279 wrote:Ed,

I'm looking at the pics from work now, and they aren't chopped off like at home. I'm not sure how to upload them differently, are you?

Dfield,

I came in from the bottom from Kyle's.

Ty

OH, I thought that it did not upload all of the pictures. My home computer chopps em up like that also. It is not the uploading it is the computer itself. I thought that you had more pictures to post. They are great pictures. Thanks!

ED
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by tyeb0279 Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Here's a couple more...

Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Indian15Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Indian16Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Indian17

tyeb0279
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Okay it's officialy on the LIST! Thankyou so much!
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by chili Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for sharing those.
chili
chili
Real Backpacker

http://www.myspace.com/chili36

Back to top Go down

Post by senatedestroyer Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

damn... i suppose autumn is the time to explore. Last trip i took to indian creek, after ascending into the huge overhang, following back through the hole in the rock and droping back down into the creek bed found myself faced with a wall of boulders blocking the creek. so to scramble up i bridged two and popped up. my ladyfriend was going to follow but said she saw a snake between the rocks i just hit. Got back down and saw a nice adult timber rattler nestled in the dark about a foot away from where my ankle had just been. so.. to make a long story short, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN ON THIS TRAIL. too many nooks for fun little lethal things to hide.Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Pictur10Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Pictur12But how can you pass up views like that?
Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Pictur13
senatedestroyer
senatedestroyer
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by senatedestroyer Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

btw safety should not be an issue if you keep your head about you. Its a nice hike, somewhat technical up to the cave. From there on you really need your wits, it can get pretty hairy... but if it wasn't a bit dangerous would eye of the needle be so wonderful? My best advice, just do it. Try it out and if you get a bit nervous about safety, you can always turn back.
senatedestroyer
senatedestroyer
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:07 pm

I love that trail, but the snake would have me creeped out for a long time Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Affraid Great pics!
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by senatedestroyer Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:36 pm

yeah it definitely gave me the willies the whole way back.
senatedestroyer
senatedestroyer
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffTrek Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Just noticed this thread now that it was revived!
The following is a link to GoogleMaps for one of my dayhikes I mapped...

http://bit.ly/BearAndIndianCreek

GoogleMaps is sufficient, but this puppy looks a lot better in GoogleEarth!
You'll have to zoom and pan around in GoogleMaps to get a halfway decent perspective...

I actually tried to climb through the Eye at one point - only made it up about 20'-25' but I saw some holds some people could definitely take advantage of if they were good!
BuffTrek
BuffTrek
Happy Camper

http://bit.ly/BushwhackTheOzarks

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffTrek Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm

I actually went through and pulled a few of the waterfall pics I grabbed this past March. Unfortunately the water wasn't really high and I got to Indian Creek midday so the pictures are what they are. Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 Icon_neutral

One of the cascades soon after the Bathtub...
A fun shot to get because a tree creates a bridge across the creek downstream from the cascade.

Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 100_1911
Indian Creek Falls
Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 100_2010

Next is a small waterfall soon after the upstream opening to Arkansas(Horseshoe) Cave.
Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 100_2011

This is the last waterfall before exiting the meat of the Indian Creek drainage and merging with the Indian Creek Loop Trail. Nothing like a High Banks style fall to finish off a trip!
Indian creek/eye of the Needle? - Page 2 100_2012
BuffTrek
BuffTrek
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatedestroyer Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm

i've rappelled the eye, but never attempted to climb it. Anyone bushwhacked past it to hammerschmidt falls?
senatedestroyer
senatedestroyer
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffTrek Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:54 pm

There's actually a footpath that walks up into it that starts right after the 4 waterfall picture I posted. It's just a spur off of the loop trail(which is slowly eroding away in the bend right at the junction of these few trails - interesting to watch over time.)
BuffTrek
BuffTrek
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2