Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Creek Trail

4 posters

Go down

Indian Creek Trail Empty Indian Creek Trail

Post by Preacha Man Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Hey guys I just got back from doing the Indian Creek Trail in the Ponca Wilderness. The trail head is in Kyles landing, and if you are up for a little bit of climbing, it is a loop trail of about 8-9 miles. I did it all today with 3 of my friends. It is a primitive trail and is not marked, you MUST look for the trail at all times. The first half of the trail follows Indian Creek, and has some pretty cool views of some caves and bluffs. Near the end of the first half is the Arkansas Cave, the mouth is shaped like Arkansas and is apparently filled with endangered bats. The last half includes some pretty steep climbs, the first is almost straigt up at first and then goes to a steep incline up to a cave where you will work yourself around and crawl through a big tunnel to get to the other side. Do not worry there is plenty of room. From there you go down just a little bit until you make it to the Eye of the Needle, you can either climb through the Eye, or climb around it. Either way it is steep, and with the fall foliage all on the gound, very slippery. You then climb to the ridge line and follow it back around to the main trail of the Buffalo River Trail. The climbs can be intense and a little scary for beginners, but my friends wife did it no problem with a little coaxing. I posted some pics in my gallery for all the want to look.
Dwight

Last edited by Preacha Man on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Indian Creek Trail Empty Re: Indian Creek Trail

Post by colt1911carry Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Eddie and I talked about the Indian Creek Trail when we were around there last month. I think it is a little technical and challenging for my tastes right now, but my goal is to work my way up to getting to the point where I can do that one. Thanks for the report!
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Post by lew1043 Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Great trail one of the most scenic spots in AR!!!
Indian Creek Trail Steel_10

Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by VanIam Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm

When I went on the Indian Creek hike we started up by Hammerschmidt Falls ( I believe) and then came down. We turned right off of the main road as your going to Ponca onto a little gravel drive just past HCR.
VanIam
VanIam
Happy Camper

http://www.myspace.com/arbeechwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:58 pm

I met some guys that came in from that spot, we just made a big loop when I did it.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down