Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain

+5
ulhiker
commandokanak
Preacha Man
HillbillyHkr
colt1911carry
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain Empty Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain

Post by colt1911carry Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Ok guys, it is time to start planning some group trips!

I am planning on doing either the Butterfield (14.7 miles) or the Shores Lake/White Mountain (13.4 miles) trails on the first or second weekend in October. The plan for the trip will be for me to head out early on Friday afternoon to drive to the trail (5 hour drive for me) and arrive at the trail early Friday evening. I will set up camp that evening and start on the trail early Saturday morning, camp somewhere half way or more down the trail Saturday evening (depending on the trail we take and the available campsites or other options), and get up early Sunday to complete the trail and head home. This will be very leasurely, and will be a great chance to catch some beautiful sights and pictures!

I am leaving this open as to the trail and the weekend so that anyone interested in hiking this with me can have some choices. I am open to anyone and everyone coming on this trip with me. Speak up, and tell me what trail and weekend works best for you. I will try my best to accomodate as many people as possible.

I am ready to hit the trails!
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain Empty Re: Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain

Post by HillbillyHkr Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:01 pm

I am game for the first weekend in Oct. The Shores Lake trail would be less crowded and camping sites may be easier to find. Everyone keep in mind to wear an orange hat or vest. That is the opening weekend of bow season. I would hope a bow hunter would be able to identify a target but better safe than sorry.

I could probably get up to Shores lake early Friday or even Thur. night and get a site at the Forest Service campground reserved if that trail is chosen.

Jim
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain Empty Re: Butterfield or Shores Lake/White Mountain

Post by HillbillyHkr Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:10 pm

I am also game to do Section One of the OHT. I can fit 4 comfortably and five if need be in my truck. If someone from this end of the state gets onsite early enough Friday we can drop my truck at the White Rock end and do that section. Sat and Sunday. I do not have the new mileage data on hand but it was only 12.3 before the lake was started. I think it is a little longer now.

Jim
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:34 pm

The mileage sounds right for me, and I live close enough to shuttle whoever. Whichever weekend is good for me, but I have to be home Saturday night.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:58 pm

I've done the White Rock/Shores lake a long time ago and it was rough! That was back in high school when I was in really good shape, I swam competitively. Although we started at the top, went down and then back up. I don't remember the time but I think we set some kind of record! That is why it was so tough. If you go up and then back down it'll probably be a lot easier.

I know I'm new here but I know I can't do a hike on the first weekend in Oct. Second weekend is iffy but more doable. I don't have a preference for either trail. I was thinking about doing the Butterfield towards the end of Sept. though.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:05 am

If White Rock is that rough, then maybe I should just do the Butterfield trail! I am by no means in great shape (unless round is a shape).

End of September will be out for me. I will be in Dallas for most of the last half of September setting up our hot site data center in a Time Warner collocation. Second weekend in October is definately ok though, if that is what works for most folks.

New here or not, you are part of the team! Your input is just as important as anyone else's.
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 am

I definately don't want to be the deciding factor. Just relaying some of my vague memories. I will say I was with a guy who was a complete outdoor adventure nut! I think he did triathelons for fun! Anyway, quick check on google maps with the terrain setting shows Shore's lake at about 600+ feet elevation and White Rock at 2260 feet. Thats a 1660' rise in elevation which is about 225' to 275' gain per mile depending on which side of the loop you take, that is if you are starting at the lake and hiking up. But you could also work out a shuttle system or something to either bring you back down or take you up if you only wanted to do half the loop.

This is a trail I plan on doing to condition myself for my return to Blanca Peak in Colorado.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:58 am

My wife & I did the Shores Lake Loop back in October '06 and had a great time. This was her first backpacking trip and I put her out in front so that she could set the pace. We went on the west side going up and came back down on the east side. We stopped probably 4 or 5 times going up and still did it in under 6 hours. It rained hard all day the second day, so we didn't stop as often and finished the second day in about 6 hours.
If you take your time and don't overdo it, SLL can be a great overnight hike. Just allow yourself plenty of time, take it easy, and enjoy the scenery, especially if you decide to camp at the campgrounds on top of White Rock Mtn.
I'd be game to with you guys, but the first weekend in October is out for me. The second weekend (Oct. 11-12) would work for me.
Colt, I don't think that you would have a hard time with the SLL, just lighten your load a bit, and set an easy walking pace.
Go for it,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:26 pm

UL,

You have seen how increadibly out of shape I am in. I would embarrass myself getting out there and trying to do 250' gain per mile! I will wait until I am in better shape for that. Unless I get over ruled by everyone. This is a community trip, not my trip, so I will go with the consensus of the group.

So far it is looking like the second week in October is going to be best. Need more input! And more interest! Speak up folks!
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm

The second weekend in Oct. will probably be best for me too. Although I'm not certian yet. I've got somethings going on at church, and there might be a retreat that weekend. Nevertheless, I don't care what trail we do, as long as I can take some awesome pics.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:43 pm

colt:
I'm game for any trail, any time. So if everyone would rather do the Butterfield that weekend, I'm ready. Just let me know.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by lew1043 Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I maybe able to go I will confirm soon. Either trail is fine but I would rather do SSL. I just did the Butterfield in the spring both places have some hills. Come on Colt I will suck wind with you in the back of the pack... This is a very modest mileage. I promise...

Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Like I said, I am totally with the consensus vote. If more people want to do the SLL, I am totally up for it. Especially with some company in the back... thanks, Lew!
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Colt, in your original post, you said the magic word for this hike: "Leisurely." Music to my ears brother. cheers

I'm in pretty sorry "trail shape" too Colt, so if their will be wind-suckers in the back to hang out with, and if the date works out for me (second weekend in October is looking pretty good), then I might just be able to tag along on this outing.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:08 am

I am doing parts of the Butterfield with my son and neighbor boys this Sunday afternoon and Mnday. If anyone wants to join in PM me and I'll give you a call. I know its short notice, but we plan on taking it easy, since my boy is 4.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Hey Preacha...I wanted to hit the trail this weekend and was sort of planning on it. But I forgot we have a Sunday wedding to go to and then my wife decided to do the Pinnacle 5K on Monday morning. I'm still going to try to hit the trail some time soon.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 am

Its ok, if you want to join up with us, we will be at the rock hole camp (Mile marker 7) on Sunday evening/Monday morning. Any one else interested in coming up? Very Happy

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:43 am

I would love to, Preacha, but I am at the in-laws this weekend. Sad
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Ok guys the trip went great, and my 4 year old son, Burrito, did 8 miles. He did a really good job, and slept in his hammock that night. We set up exactly like we were at the tarp and hammock clinic. Let me know when we plan a group hike.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:10 pm

Glad you guys had a great time. That rig was very interesting the way you had it set up at the clinic. I pitched mine in the back pasture on Fri night and spent fri and sat out there.. that should count for something lol. I did make a couple of fleece throws and a kind of bag liner with a nylon foot pocket that lined with fleece so I guess I was testing gear as well hahahaha.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:58 am

Pretty much the consensus is to do the White Rock / Shores Lake Loop on the second weekend in October.

I will be taking off of work that Friday and driving in to the campsite. I should be there by 3 or 4 that afternoon.

What I am thinking is camping at the Shores Lake Recreational Area the night of the 10th in order to get an early morning start to the hike on the 11th (start hiking no later than 7am). I would like to hike the east side loop (7.4 miles) on the 11th and camp for the night at the White Rock Mountain Campground. Get up early on the 12th (again start hiking by 7am) and finish the hike out (6.0 miles) on the west side loop early on Sunday so I can head home (4 hour drive home for me).

For all of you guys who have hiked this trail before, does this all sound plausible to you? Any advice from you SLL vets?

So, who is going to do this thing with me?
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:01 am

And, Precha, you are more than welcome to join as well. I know you have to be back Saturday night, so we could drop your car out at the White Rock parking area so you could at least do the east side of the loop with us.
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:12 am

Yeah, I have done the OHT on that section, but I never have done the shores lake part. Sounds like a good time.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30 am

So, Precha, we can count you in?
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:39 pm

October 10th and 11th, sure count ,me in.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next