Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Raw Egg Saga Continues...

3 posters

Go down

The Raw Egg Saga Continues... Empty The Raw Egg Saga Continues...

Post by Jay Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:11 am

For those of you who don't know (or don't remember), I recently began a quest to find out the truth about hauling raw eggs in one's backpack.

My initial search concluded with the FDA's advice that once eggs are refrigerated (usually shortly after they are gathered at the farm) they need to stay that way. Taking eggs out of the fridge and packing them into a room temperature (or hotter) backpack and hauling them into the woods is a bad idea. The temperature change, as well as some negative affects due to condensation, ruin the eggs in short order. Some say within hours.

So, I went old school. I asked around and found a place where I can get fresh ( and I mean straight-from-under-the-chicken's-butt fresh) eggs to carry with me and here's what I've been told:

19 days. The eggs, very lightly washed as to preserve their protective coating, will last approximately 19 days at room temperature. Obviously, the hotter the trail, the shorter the life of the egg, but you get the picture.

This advice came from none other than a bonafide egg farmer. For liabilities sake, I should probably say that this advice is for informational purposes only and if you decide to eat a questionable egg based on a random post on a random website quoting a random egg farmer and you become ill or die as a result, don't blame me; you're the one who ate the egg.

Anyway, in the coming weeks I will be testing this and letting you know the final results. There's just something about the smell of fried eggs in the wilderness that makes me feel happy inside.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

The Raw Egg Saga Continues... Empty Re: The Raw Egg Saga Continues...

Post by ulhiker Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 am

So does this mean we can locate you by the smell of fried eggs in the woods or by the smell of chicken butt???? Razz
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:33 am

I wish. After the third or fourth day out there, it would be blessing to smell as good as chicken butt. I think that's why I've never had trouble with bears - they smell me from miles away and turn tail and scoot!
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tpeter Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:28 pm

So what is the verdict? How were the fresh eggs? inquiring minds would like to know Smile.

tpeter
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum