Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!!

3 posters

Go down

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Empty My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!!

Post by Preacha Man Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 pm

OK, so my neighbor boy turned 16 this week, so I promised him I would take him and his friends hiking on the Butterfield. His mother got him a really nice Northface pack, and he was really excited about it. I have taken him hiking enough that he know what and how to pack, so I wasn't worried about him. I took his 2 friends and they showed up with 2 flat out full duffel bags!!! I asked hem where their backpacks were, and they told me that they were going to use the bags, and the straps as shoulder straps. I kinda gave them a puzzled look, and said "well, what do you have in them". These boys had all kinds of junk, Amanda asked them what they had to eat, and one boy said "I have 2 fudge rounds and a sleeve of crackers." Luckily for him she had pity on the poor boy and gave him some Raman noodles and a lot of bars. I told them that they better keep up, and that even though we were not going very far the first day, we still had to get to camp before dark. They both told me that they were in really good shape from football, and that they could keep up no problems (this was not true Twisted Evil ).

We got to camp, and I couldn't help but laugh at how ill equipped these guys were. Now, they were not in danger, but they sure were funny. My neighbor boy was using my old non-asym Hennessey hammock and its tarp, and the boys were sleeping under a heavy tarp on the ground. It was really funny when one of the boys pulled out his big Ole pillow from home!!! As you can see, I personally like the toiletry bag, complete with the teenage boy necessity, Axe body spray Very Happy

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00110My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00111

I got to try out my new DIY bugnet hammock that I had made that day. It is a bottom entry like a Hennessey, but it sleeps like a top loader, super comfy, and no bugs!!!!, I call it the GREEN LANTERN. I put my DIY 5oz. Climashield XP underquilt on it, and I stayed toasty, toasty. It was so nice!

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00112

I put up my DIY 10X12 Cat Tarp that my wife made me, and I tried a new kind of set up, and I really liked it. It kept the wind off, and I still had a view from my hammock.

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00113
My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00114
My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00115

The boys made it out OK, they only did 11 miles, but they sure learned a lesson Smile Here is a pic of the burned section of Devil's Den, you really cannot tell that anything burned really.

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Dsc00116
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Empty Re: My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!!

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:24 am

PM,

Well live and learn! I carry out more junk that folks like that leave behind. This time I found and brought out a busted fiberglass tent pole for a big dome tent and the fork from one of those wally world mess kits. I have also found ten cans in fire pits. I hope these boys learn from you!

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!! Empty Re: My Neighbor Boy's Birthday Butterfield Hike!!

Post by jamesjohn Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 pm

I wish we had more of that all around the world. That is beautiful...Nature's beauty!

jamesjohn
Day Hiker

http://www.viteb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down