Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip?

3 posters

Go down

Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip? Empty Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip?

Post by Jackg42 Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm looking for some trail suggestions for a short overnight backpacking trip with my 20-year-old son. Going through the guidebooks, there are so many great trails and possibilities that I'm a little overwhelmed. We plan to go during spring break, in two weeks, around March 17th or so.

We live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, so anywhere in southwestern Arkansas within a 6 hour drive would work the best. We would drive up in the morning, which would put us at the trailhead around 2 - 3 PM. That would give us about 3 hours of daylight to hike before setting up camp. The following day we would have a full day to hike before getting back to the car later that afternoon.

I'd prefer not to have to make any deep water crossings (I've read where some of the trails have knee-deep crossings this time of year), but we have backpacking experience and a good level of fitness, so trail difficulty is not an issue.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Jackg42
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip? Empty Re: Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip?

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 am

Overnighter? Try the buckeye trail, hike to Katy Falls, hike above the falls to camp. Next day hike down the the Caney Creek Trail
Take a left hike E. to the E. Caney Creek trail head. Simple! Check recent trail reports and pics here on this forum. Lots of info.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip? Empty Re: Best trails for an overnight backpacking trip?

Post by John Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Another option a bit closer to you would be the Ouachita Trail western terminus which is located at Talimena State Park, OK. This is more mountainous terrain(higher elevations) than Caney Creek but the Caney offers nicer water features.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm

I just reread your post. If you only have around three hours of sunlight I would forget the Buckeye trail and
just go in from the E. Trail head. Or for that matter the W. trailhead but the W. trail head might be a trick
to find (sign is down). All of the creek crossings from the E. are normally rock hops. Plenty of streams, nice rock
features and bluffs to see.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down