Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat Challange 2009?

+4
ED
Preacha Man
ouachita hiker
Trail Monkey
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fat Challange 2009? Empty Fat Challange 2009?

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:27 am

Ok ladies... here is the deal. I need to loose 35 more lbs. I find it very hard to do if I am not in compeating with someone to do it. So anyone up for a fat chanlange? As far as time goes.. lets just see what the month to month does. Rules same as before. Check in is on Sundays try it till first of the year? I will be the first.

Eddie Miller
222lbs start weight.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Fat Challange 2009? Empty Re: Fat Challange 2009?

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:18 am

Eddie,

I really need this! I can't get motivated and I know that if I lost weight it would help my knee and also get of some meds. This has been a REALLY tough
year for me! I will post my weight tonight. I am afraid to look!

Tom Trigg
Weight to be added,
if the scales don't break Fat Challange 2009? Icon_mad
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 am

I'll join you Eddie!!! Though I am far from beig a lady Razz I have gained 15 pounds since the last challenge, especially since Amanda has been pregnant. She told me that once Isaiah comes, then we are getting back on track, so if that helps you, I'll join up with you.

Dwight Gonzales
198lbs stating weight Fat Challange 2009? Affraid
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Count me in!! However, beware I have an advantage, I have more to loose. Can we extend this past the first of the year though. This is a constant personal chalenge for me. I have lost 50 pounds since the last thanksgiving and now I have my diet balnced out so that I am loosing 1-2 ponds a month. I can kick it up though!!

Eddy Mitchell

261lbs start weight
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:32 pm

I was wondering how we could actually run this year long. Maybe do it like a challenge for a month then at the end of year next year add it up. That may be the way to do it.... Ed more to loose is not a advantage as we seen last year, as it worked better as a percentage. Therefore in theory everyone has the same amount is its in %. Some may only want to loose 10lbs and some may go for 60lbs. Personally I don't care either way as this is a motivation only. Its not like your winning on the TV show. I am sure we can get Jay to do something on the front page like he did last year.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, the "more to loose" was a joke. hahaha. But, I think that 10lbs is equally difficult to get rid of regardless of your actual weight. It doesn't matter to me how it is done because I am gonna loose the weight regardless. Maybe it doesn't have to be a contest but just more of a report, discuss and suport.
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Ed.. I find the first 10 are usually the easier to lose as the first to go is water. Take a water pill and a lb or two will dissapper. I like the idea of support but I think we should do is in a separate thread. Lets use this one for discussions and talking about it, and will create a second one for the "Fat Check IN" section lol. Maybe east stingray will chime in and give us some pointers of what NOT to do and what to do to maximize this. Uh for those that don't know him, he is in med school lol. Just ask him about the big women shooting babies at him.. he gets me rolling on the floor with that one. But I like where this is going.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Trail Monkey wrote:Ed.. I find the first 10 are usually the easier to lose as the first to go is water. Take a water pill and a lb or two will dissapper.

This is why I don't use weight as a guage for fat loss. I use the fit of my clothes for my own personal sense of achievement but we can't report that on the forum and compare it effctively.
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:03 pm

I forgot to mention that my favorite way to guage fat loss is that odd taste of ketones in your mouth when your burnin it up.
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenn_Trekker Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 am

This sight apears to be the site of mostly middle aged heavy men, I guess that is why I like it. That being said, I am in as well. My favorite weight loss system is old fashion as well..calorie in vs. calorie out.

Mark

5' 8"

194 lbs.
Tenn_Trekker
Tenn_Trekker
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

The Old Fashion way is always the best. TM and I won in our 2008 challenge, he won by points and I won by total weight lost. I did it just by watching my calories, and by working out. 3500 calories is a pound of fat!!! Burn 3500 calories, you will lose a poud of fat, eat 3500 calories more than you burn, you wil gain a pound of fat. Easy enough Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by east_stingray Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Since TM asked, I will chime in with a sage piece of advice from the medical community...

Most folks focus more on exercise when trying to lose weight. While exercise is very important to overall health (especially cardiovascular health), most people tend to eat more after exercising and also tend to "cheat" on the diet because they feel that they deserve a reward after a hard workout.

For some examples, a 190lb person swimming hard laps for AN HOUR burns about 690 calories. That might sound like a lot, but most folks are not going to be able to swim laps for anywhere near an hour. I am a lifelong competitive swimmer who exercises every day and I am usually dead tired by 40 minutes.

A 190lb person running a 12 minute mile pace for an hour burns the same 690 calories. The same applies here... unless you are a dedicated runner, you're probably not going to be able to keep up a 12 minute mile pace for a whole hour.

Both of these types of exercise will increase hunger in most folks, so that negates some of the calories you've burned.

On the other hand, a McDonald's big mac has about 540 calories. Add a medium fry at another 450 calories and you've reached 990 calories just for a quick lunch stop. A salad with Balsamic vinegar dressing has around 100 calories if you don't add a bunch of sauces or croutons.

As you can see, it's MUCH easier to burn calories by never eating them in the first place. In the above example, you'd have to do MORE than the 1 hour of vigorous exercise just to burn off the extra calories you ate for lunch.

east_stingray
Real Backpacker

http://www.geocities.com/east_stingray/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

As you can see, it's MUCH easier to burn calories by never eating them in the first place. In the above example, you'd have to do MORE than the 1 hour of vigorous exercise just to burn off the extra calories you ate for lunch.

Some of the best diet words to date!!! Well said.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks for the input east.

That agrees with the way that I have always looked at it"I diet to loose weight and I exercise to make it to the top of the mountain with less huffin and puffin".
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Tenn_Trekker wrote:This sight apears to be the site of mostly middle aged heavy men, I guess that is why I like it.

Tenn, you just had to say "middle aged" didn't you. Though I do answer to heavy. LOL
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Hey let me tell you guys something about Tenn... If I could move like that I wouldn't be worried about a few pounds. This dude ran up Brush Heap Mt. with a 40lb pack and never stopped to even suck air much less gasp. He's a frigging machine I tell you. Watch him, he will blow by you in a trot and tell you hes tiring out.. hahaha. Love ya guy.. your welcome on any of our hikes or packs. uh just make sure that YOU have the car keys when you hike with him.... hahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:47 pm

ED wrote:
Tenn_Trekker wrote:This sight apears to be the site of mostly middle aged heavy men, I guess that is why I like it.

Tenn, you just had to say "middle aged" didn't you. Though I do answer to heavy. LOL

Well if you guys are "middle aged" I guess I am just a old wore out backpacker,
actually I thought of some things but I won't say them here!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 pm

I know that I am young!!! I can't wait till I get a little older, get rid of these kids, and my wife finally gets tired of me, so that I can get out hiking more often Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Preacha Man wrote:I know that I am young!!! I can't wait till I get a little older, get rid of these kids, and my wife finally gets tired of me, so that I can get out hiking more often Wink

Dewight,

I hate to bust your bubble but it just doesn't work that way! At least for me! If you want my full story it will have to be face to face!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Thats right P.. do like me.. Get rid of the whole darn gang... start over and now I have lots of time to do the things "I" want to do, pleanty of money to do them, and couldn't (honestly) be more happy. I have done the family thing twice now and there is NO way I could do it again. It was ok and I am glad that I did it. But to each their own. Guess I am to much of a loaner I guess.. lol Glad you guys can take it cause I cant.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:28 pm

I am glad that the Lord has given me such a great family, I am the type of person that needs people in my life to strengthen my weaknesses Fat Challange 2009? Icon_wink The good thing is that my family loves camping, so once we get settled after this baby, we can go camping this Spring, and I can go hiking all day Fat Challange 2009? Icon_cheers
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:34 pm

OK fat people today is sunday post em up.
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Was wondering who was going to be the first to chime in.. lol. I was going to at 5am when I weighed in but decieded to see who was going to do it first. Good luck all.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:23 pm

I could stand on a baby scale and weigh myself, but I better not, I will weigh in when I can Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenn_Trekker Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Ed, those were kinds words you said earlier but I wanted to set the record straight. I spent some serios dough and I got my pack down to 38 lbs. LOL

I weighed in at 190 lbs
Tenn_Trekker
Tenn_Trekker
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next