Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP

+10
colt1911carry
HillbillyHkr
lew1043
Preacha Man
willky1
ulhiker
Trail Monkey
ED
ouachita hiker
Jay
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP Empty Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP

Post by Jay Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:20 am

Okay gang, I realize we haven't awarded our winners from 2008 yet (good job Trail Monkey and Preacher Man!) but it's about time we get our competition going for 2009!

What some of us may not have realized is that last years fitness challenge was all about preparing for this year. So, I hope you worked out hard, because you're going to need it. This year, it's all about the mileage!

Here's how BFC 2009 is going to work:

First, we're going to divide up into teams. Teams? Did I read that right? Yep! Every competitor will be randomly assigned to a team. This will help even things out since some folks have more time to spend in the woods than others. We will probably keep it to just two teams, but if we have lots of participants we can do more.

Each team will have their own forum area (visible to all) where each team member can post their hiking/backpacking trip mileage throughout the year. On January 1st, 2010, each teams cumulative mileage will be figured up, and the team with the most trail miles wins!

On top of that, the MVP from each team--that is, the individual team member from each team with the highest mileage--will be given special honors as well.

RULES

The rules are simple: GO HIKING! Then, post the trails you hiked and your mileage when you return. It all counts toward your team's mileage. See? Simple!

Okay, there are a few fine points:

- Mileage should be verifiable. This means you should try to hike established trails with published mileages. Such as trails from Tim Ernst's books or Forest Service websites.

- The trails can be anywhere in the world.

- A maximum of 8 miles per day will be allowed for off-trail (unverifiable mileage) bushwacking. (AKA: I hiked all day at my friends property; or, I wandered around in a Wilderness Area for a week...8 miles per day is all you can claim.)

- If you perform at least 1 mile of trail maintenance, your entire day's mileage is multiplied by a factor of 2. Remember: you can't just carry loppers with you and go hacking through the trails; maintenance must be approved by the Forest Service.

Note: We may change things around a little once we get going, if needed.

That's it. Sound easy enough? All you gotta do is get out there and hike!

In the meantime, reply to this post to join the fun. Sign-ups will end next Saturday (January 17th)

I'll do a random drawing to determine the teams and will post the teams a couple of days after sign-ups end. Then, each team can work together to come up with their team's name if they'd like, otherwise, I'll do it for them. Then, I'll set up the forums for each team, and we'll get it ON!

What do you think?

Any questions? Feel free to post them here, or PM me.

Last edited by Jay on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP Empty Re: Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP

Post by Jay Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:27 am

Oh yeah, as for prizes: It will include some gift certificates, and an AB t-shirt (if we ever get them made!)

As for where the gift certificates will be from? I'm gonna keep that under wraps for now. Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP Empty Re: Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 am

Jay,

I am in! As far as trail work I am the guy to talk to! I, we or who ever, are going into the Caney Creek Wilderness area on Jan. 31st and some time during the week of Feb. 14th (Sat.) to Feb. 21st (Sat.). The Feb. trip could be a overnighter if need be. We will be coming in from the West. I need to make a very important point to anyone that would like to do this anywere. The FS must approve you to work in the national forrest! You just can't go out and start lopping! If you want to work in the Mena district I can send you/anyone the correct forms to send in and give you the contact person in their office. Also some time in the near future the Mena office is going to have a wilderness trail maintance workshop. This will be a two day affair. They haven't set a date yet but probbably will be in the Spring, when I know the date I will post it. Also you can, and should, become a member of FOoT. Friends of the Ouachita Trail or the Ozark Highland Trails Assoc. I will post in the Friends fo the Ouachita Trail section the sections of trail that are open for addoption. Please get involved!

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 am

Count ED in also.

Tom, I sent in my paper work to the FS the other day, will they contact me to verify approval?

Have a great day,

Eddy
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 am

Ed,
Don't worry about approval. I normaly email Sharon at the FS office to check with her. If you put a email address some times they will email you. I have been dealing with them since last spring so I have a fairly good working relationship with the Mena office.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 am

Well hell count me in to.. lol
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Sign me up. Maybe I can do better than '08s performance.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:28 pm

BTW, how soon are teams going to be chosen? I've got a hike next week that I'd like to be able to count.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Heck if were going to go to the end of the year I think we should start counting from the first of the year... don't you.. uh er... that mean mine an Colt's 36.8 mile BRT last week counts right :-D affraid
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm in too. This will be great, it will force me to get out now! Also, one thing that might be a good idea. If it would work out, you could divide the teams up so that people who live near each other could be on the same team so that it might make it easier to get trips together. Just a thought, but I haven't really been paying attention to where everyone is from. So, this may not work. Anyway, count me in!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Count me in too, I hope that this will give me another exscuse to get out and go hiking. Jay, I love how you made it all about miles this year, perfect idea!
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by lew1043 Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I am in!!!

Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:06 pm

TM:
I agree, for whatever that's worth. I think that if the challenge is going to be for all of 2009, then it should start on 1/1/09. But hey, I don't get to make the rules. Razz
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:09 pm

ok.. good at least someone agrees lol. I also think that Kyle had a good idea in trying to team up with others thats local to yourself... as best Jay can do it... But I think that actually staying on the trail as opposed to day hiking should be worth more but thats just me lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:24 pm

I think TM and Colt's hike should count, but that's only because I have 3 measly miles so far, on the Devil's Den trail and Butterfield Trail Smile. Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park has a 1 mile paved trail, does that count?

There has to be something said about hiking with just a day pack, and then hiking an overnighter with all the weight that comes a long with it, but all that might detract from the simplicity that Jay has come up with. When I told Amanda that it was all about mileage, she rolled her eyes at me and said "great, so you will be leaving me more this year." I just said in reply that she could come with me. I really like your idea Jay, and I hope to be travelling the trails a lot more this year.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:34 am

I'm so excited that you guys are pumped about the Challenge this year. I know I am! Also glad to see new faces taking part. Come on folks, might as well join the fun!

I tried to answer some of your questions below. I'd still be glad to discuss if this doesn't clear things up enough. Keep 'em coming!

ulhiker wrote:BTW, how soon are teams going to be chosen? I've got a hike next week that I'd like to be able to count.
UL

I'll probably have everyone assigned to a team by next Saturday. (That will give everyone plenty of time to sign up.)

Your hike next week will count.

Trail Monkey wrote:Heck if were going to go to the end of the year I think we should start counting from the first of the year... don't you.. uh er... that mean mine an Colt's 36.8 mile BRT last week counts right :-D affraid

Your BRT hike will count. All trips made in 2009 will count.

willky1 wrote:Also, one thing that might be a good idea. If it would work out, you could divide the teams up so that people who live near each other could be on the same team so that it might make it easier to get trips together.

I initially thought about dividing the teams up this way, but, I want to make sure the teams are evenly divided in terms of "available and active" hikers. Since I know that Colt and Trail Monkey have hiked together, as have Lew and UL, I think it might work to keep those pairs together and draw for everyone else. I'm still open to ideas on how best to work this so everyone can still have fun and still keep things fair by not stacking one team more than another.

Keep in mind, if you happen to end up on the opposite team from your hiking buddy, it's just one more reason that you can't miss out going on a trip with them--by going with them, you'll prevent their team from pulling ahead!

ulhiker wrote:TM:
I agree, for whatever that's worth. I think that if the challenge is going to be for all of 2009, then it should start on 1/1/09. But hey, I don't get to make the rules. Razz
UL

Fear not! All of 'em count.

Trail Monkey wrote:But I think that actually staying on the trail as opposed to day hiking should be worth more but thats just me lol.

Preacha Man wrote:There has to be something said about hiking with just a day pack, and then hiking an overnighter with all the weight that comes a long with it, but all that might detract from the simplicity that Jay has come up with.

I agree with this. Backpacking is harder. That's why I've secretly arranged for the team with the most backpacking mileage as of April 1st to get a "special perk!" The other team will have a shot at the same perk come August 1st if they pull ahead in backpacking mileage by then.

I bet you'd love to know what that perk is, wouldn't you?

Eh, I think I'll keep it to myself for now. Twisted Evil
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lew1043 Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:31 am

Cool Cool stuff. This is alot more motivating to me than hitting the gym... I can do this...

Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:00 am

This all sounds great! Can't wait to get started.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 am

So how is the scoring going to work? One point per mile, with 3 points per... mile cleared if doing trail work?
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Trail Monkey wrote:So how is the scoring going to work? One point per mile, with 3 points per... mile cleared if doing trail work?

Yep; except that we don't really have to use points, just miles.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP Empty 1/3/09 trail work

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Jay,

Janet (outlawpacker) signed up for the challenge and put it as a new post, sorry I told here wrong! I wasn't paying attention. Please place us together. Any way on 1/3/09 we did trail maintance work on these sectons of the OT:

Section District Miles Description Total miles (out and back)
2 Mena 46.3-47.8 AR/OK state line to FR514 3
3 Mena 54.1-55.5 Talimena Scenic Dr. to Wizard trees 2.8
All totaled: 5.8
This can be verified on this page, look for work report:

FOoT trail conditons page

Please also give Janet the same miles.

Thanks, OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:27 pm

ouachita hiker wrote:Jay,

Janet (outlawpacker) signed up for the challenge and put it as a new post, sorry I told here wrong! I wasn't paying attention. Please place us together. Any way on 1/3/09 we did trail maintance work on these sectons of the OT:

Section District Miles Description Total miles (out and back)
2 Mena 46.3-47.8 AR/OK state line to FR514 3
3 Mena 54.1-55.5 Talimena Scenic Dr. to Wizard trees 2.8
All totaled: 5.8
This can be verified on this page, look for work report:

FOoT trail conditons page

Please also give Janet the same miles.

Thanks, OH

Whoa, fella! Easy!

I replied to your lovely wife in the other post, and please wait until I get the teams together and the new forum locations up for the challenge before you start posting trips/mileages and stuff. Just until next week.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Sign me up. This past weekend I logged approximately 24 miles. Hey if trail work is worth 3 miles and day hiking is counted the same as backpacking..a good bushwhacking trip should be counted 2 per. :-) Can't blame me for trying.

HBH
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah I know...see your previous post.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Backcountry Fitness Challenge 2009 SIGNUP Empty Trail Maintance

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 pm

Jay,

Sorry that I jumped the gun!

Oh
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next