Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Container for bleach (for water purification)

+5
Trail Monkey
Jeff
ouachita hiker
chili
ED
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Container for bleach (for water purification) - Page 2 Empty Re: Container for bleach (for water purification)

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Prob.. just filter.. doubt I would bring two. No need for two
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Container for bleach (for water purification) - Page 2 Empty Re: Container for bleach (for water purification)

Post by east_stingray Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:05 am

Trail Monkey wrote:Tom.. thats an ok article but keep in mind that its a wee bit outdated. 03 from what I can gather. The FDA's on site states that 2 drops per liter is fine. This is typical I know but myself can attest that most people can't drink 4 drops per liter. Just ask east. He borrowed my bleach this past weekend and I had to jump him as he casually droped 3 drops in. He stated that "hell its only one more drop" lol. I don't think he wanted to admit to it but he was almost at a point of having to pour it out.. lol. I am still trying to find that document from the FDA but have yet to find it again.

Ahh! The vapor burned my eyes!

east_stingray
Real Backpacker

http://www.geocities.com/east_stingray/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 pm

I used bleach for the first time on the ERL this last weekend. I used 2 drops of 6% regular clorox to every liter. I used a very small contact rewetting drop bottle that I emptied and flushed a few times, and I think it said that it was .15oz. I filled it up with bleach and then put it in a little ziplock snackbag. I also carried iodine tablets just in case, but I couldn't even taste the bleach until I got to the very very bottom of the bottle. It has been 5 days now since I first used it and I have had no ill effects. I know that there is plenty of bleach in my little bottle to last a lot more trips, so this is going to be my new way. It is super lightweight, very fast, cheap, and from what I can tell, effective. Thanks for all the info on this guys Smile
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by John Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:32 pm

So you added 2 drops of bleach per liter and shook it.
How long do you have to let it set before taking a drink? Or can you drink from the liter bottle immediately?

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:42 pm

I waited over 10 minutes before I drank, but UL only waits 5 minutes I think. Read the rest of this thread and I think it gives a few more details. I did wash the threads of my bottles before I drank though, just like you would with iodine tabs.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by John Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks, Preacha. You guys have some good tips.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

John.. I just used a 1oz eye drop bottle. You can pop the top an clean it. I usually wait 10 min or so when its warm but suppose to wait 20 if water is 50 or below.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2