Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips

3 posters

Go down

Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips Empty Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Ok guys,

I am just putting out a feeler as to who would be willing to help out this year in the Caney Creek Wilderness Trail clearing that we started in ernest last fall. I at this time don't have any dates set. I won't be able to do anything
before late Nov. I will be helping FoOT on the western end of the OT the weekend of Nov. 14th. The next weekend is the big FoOT gathering at QWSP the next weekend. I am not ruling out going in during some time the week of Thanksgiving.

I expect a trip and trail report from Mark Adams (Trail Relic) soon on the conditon of the trail. I am going to start out NOT fooling with trees if at all possible! If you will check my link below to webshots you can see some of the trees that we cleared.

I expect brush and plenty of briars. We didn't really get to work on the E. part of the trail and I want to clear it first.

OK, who is up to this? It doesn't have to start out as overnighters..

Thanks!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips Empty Re: Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips

Post by Preacha Man Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:16 pm

I would LOVE to help, but. . . . . . Sad Amanda is due with our 4th child on November 21st Smile. It really all depends on how everything goes with her.

Maybe we could get Brashears and her college friends to help as some sort of service project thingy hahaha.

Seriously, I should be able to help out in the early Spring!!!
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips Empty Re: Caney Creek Wilderness Trail work trips

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Dewight,

I would like to, if all goes well, set aside one weekend per month from Nov thru about April. I am sure we could work something out! I will work even if no one else can. I have decided this year that I won't go begging folks. If anyone would like to help on a worth while project then here is one!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Just to let everyone know that we have picked up at least three more workers! Theo from Texarkana and another FoOT member can help in Dec.
Along with the Chris (Ouachita Explorer) we should have a pretty good crew to work with this year. If you are still interested please let me know.

Thanks, Tom
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:53 pm

I am very interested in the condition of the trail because I have alot of blood sweat, tears and one shoulder out there. If I remember correctly, didn't The FS do some clearing of the bigger trees there after our last trip. When is Mark going in?

ED
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:56 pm

ED wrote:I am very interested in the condition of the trail because I have alot of blood sweat, tears and one shoulder out there. If I remember correctly, didn't The FS do some clearing of the bigger trees there after our last trip. When is Mark going in?

ED

Ed,
From what the FS has told me the brush seems to be the big problem now. The FS had a contract crew go thru and cut out a lot of the trees that we didn't get to from the West trail head. They did go around and skipped some of them, they didn't cut that big double tree that you found last year. They cut paths around some of them.

Mark went in last weekend. I haven't heard from him. I hope to have some type of report from him soon. We have picked up a couple of more workers. I want to start the season out from the E. trail head and work only on the brush. I want to save your shoulder as long as I can!

Did you see my PM?
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Tom,

I sure am concerned about the trees at caney creek with the aproaching weather and already saturated ground!!!

ED
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm

ED,

ME TO!!! I am tired of cutting trees. We are already under a tornado watch. Mark Adams mentioned only one tree down betwee the E. Trailhead
and Katy falls. I hope that is all..
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm

By the way I have some new folks interested in helping out. I even have been contacted by a floater from Mena that hasn't ever heard of Caney Creek! Hopefully this will be the year we can get this rolling and clear all of the trails. I feel that if we ever get them all clear it won't be a big deal
to keep them that way.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down