Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My next Tent

+3
Preacha Man
HillbillyHkr
TNFrontier
7 posters

Go down

My next Tent Empty My next Tent

Post by TNFrontier Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am

After 10 years of using my 7lbs Sierra Designs tent (which I have loved), I am going to upgrade before the fall to a new MSR tent... the super-light double-wall (tent + rain fly) Carbon Reflex2. It weighs in at 3 lbs 4 oz (everything... Tent AND fly). I will be cutting my tent weight in half! I am really going to lighten my pack more than I ever have.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/carbon-reflex-2/product
TNFrontier
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

My next Tent Empty Re: My next Tent

Post by HillbillyHkr Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:18 pm

I just bought a used Henry Shires Cloudburst taprtent from a gentlemen on another site. I set it up a few minutes ago. For used it is immaculate. The ridge is to low to sit up in but other than that it appears to be pretty sweet. It has dac poles. I think I can shave a few oz by making a new rear pole from carbon arrows and just use my hiking pole for the front. $50.00. 29oz as is with 6 aluminum stakes and the sleeve. With Ti stakes and the pole rework I can get it down to 20 - 22 ozs.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 pm

DIY hammocks and Tarps are pretty lightweight too Razz !!!! Plus you don't have to sleep on the ground.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by TNFrontier Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I hear ya! I guess I am not ready to go that hard-core yet! I have slept through many a rainy stormy night completely dry in my tent... I just don't trust my engineering skills with a DIY set-up... I'm afraid I'd get blown away! Very Happy
TNFrontier
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:58 pm

I like it when the wind blows, I get rocked to sleep Smile
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Kudus on the the hammock. Any you know that you don't "HAVE" to make it yourself. Pleany of store bought ones and even some like PM's. I a usuing a PreachaMan hammock and tarp and love mine.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 am

I typically use a hammock. If it is to cold for a hammock <30deg, I use a sil nylon tarp. I bought the tarp tent for a Colorado trip. Last year when I went it was to cold a few nights for a hammock and the mosquitos and gnats were really bad the other nights. I thought about modifying my tarp and adding no seeum to the front. The tarp is large enough that I can stake the sides and back down and still have room. I got lazy when I saw the deal on the Henry Shires.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Heck 30 is just when things get interesting Hillbilly. hahaha it will keep you on your game thats for sure lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:53 pm

I am good in my hammock to about 15*, at least that is the coldest I have gone down to. I really like my quilts Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rcroberts Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't think you could do better than mrs have used a hubba for two years now including 8 days in Colorado in September with some heavy t-storms passed with flying colors am not familiar with the carbon reflex might have to check it out hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine

rcroberts
Hicker

http://randyroberts21@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TNFrontier Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:21 pm

As with most backpackers, I lighten my load with each trip. I have been wanting to lighten my tent and sleeping bag for a while now. Planning on getting the "Crystal" sleeping bag from "Big Agnes" too. It seems pretty light and is resonably priced compared to some.
TNFrontier
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 am

TNF:
The MSR tent looks like a great tent. Before you buy, if you haven't already done so, check out Henry Shire's Tarptents at www.tarptent.com. He's got several models, including a large 3-man tent that weighs only 2.5 lbs. This would save you close to a pound.
The Big Agnes Crystal weighs almost 3 lbs.!!!!! You just defeated all of your efforts to lighten your load. If you are looking for a good, lightweight bag, check out Western Mountaineering's Summerlite bag. It has a 32 deg. rating, its down (much better and lighter than synthetic) and weighs only 19 oz. Watch for it on sale or check for it on eBay. Also check out the various backpacking forums for a good used one for sale. I think you would be much happier with this or one like it.
Keep up the good efforts on lightening your load,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TNFrontier Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks, I will check out the tarp tents. Well, I guess lightening the load is relative... The crystal IS lighter than my current Kelty bag (it's also half down half synthetic) + it is one of the lightest I could find that met my requirements: rectangle shape (I hate mummy bags), light weight (relatively) and a reasonable price (under $200). The Crystal is already on order, but the tent I won't order until early fall. Also the Big agnes bags have an air pad that slips into a sleeve built into the bag... hoping for major comfort! That's the one area I have become unwilling to compromise on... sleeping well! I am a grump when I don't sleep well. Mad
TNFrontier
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:48 pm

I understand about the comfort.. thats why I hang.. got to get off the ground... lol. Also I have hike with a few guys with the air pad that slips into the sleeve... you might as well be toting a full mattress as thouse things are heavy. just a fyi. Look at the Thermareast Neo Air. Much lighter and smaller.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TNFrontier Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Got my sleeping bag in the mail! (B.A. Crystal... long version) Aired up the pad and put it in the sleeve... awesome, I am going to sleep a baby! I love getting new gear.
TNFrontier
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I second the HS Tarptent comment. I (as well as a few other guys on here) have the Contrail, and it is great! There is plenty of room, good coverage, and the weight is pretty good too. Just my two cents. Whatever you get will be great, because like you said, getting new gear is awesome!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down