Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tent!

+3
willky1
lew1043
ulhiker
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Tent! Empty New Tent!

Post by ulhiker Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm

Haven't bought this one, but I am in gear lust of this one. Twisted Evil
http://www.tarptent.com/sublite.html
May have to have this before long,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

New Tent! Empty Re: New Tent!

Post by lew1043 Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:34 am

I agree! Looks pretty cool!
Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Thats an awesome tent. And I know what you mean with the gear lust. I'm pretty amazed with this shelter , but I don't know if I'll every spend that much money on a commerical shelter ever again.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:32 pm

willky:
If you look at the sublite site, it will give you the dimensions of the tent. That way you could make your own. I like The One by Gossamer Gear also. My biggest complaint with The One is that it is made out of spinnaker, which is extremely loud in the wind. The Tyvek material that the Sublite is made of is not as noisy and weighs about the same as the spinnaker.
There are trade-offs with both materials. The Tyvek is not really that waterproof, which Henry states on his site. So you just don't know which way to go.
But making your own would definitely be the way to go.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey, guys, just curioius.. what do you do in the winter in night time highs of 15degrees to 10 degrees? Do you still tarp? And if so how is a tarp at that temp with a strong cross wind?
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 pm

eddie:
In the winter time, a tarp is all that I use, unless my wife comes with me. As far as the strong cross wind goes, generally, if you pitch the tarp with the open end facing to the East, you are not going to be affected by the wind that much. Also, if you put the low side of the tarp facing the sind, then the wind will just spill over the top and you don't have it blowing your tarp around.
The next time we hike together, I show you some of the different pitches that you can do with a tarp. The versatility of a tarp is great.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 pm

I know, well have at least seen most of the common tarp set ups. But I mean I have seen the wind change direction al most at a moments notice and in the middle of the night. I would love to try a tarp. Just need some convencing I guess... Now in the fall and in the spring I think I would be ok with it. but from about Nov. to around March 1 I think I would be very uncomfortable lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:04 pm

I have never tried to make my own gear other than stoves. That being said that tarptent setup does not look that hard to make. HMMM I have several projects going getting ready for the baby and all. If I get some time in Sept. I may attempt one. The material is fairly inexpensive on thru-hiker.com Anyone tried to make something like this? I figure mine would look like heck but the fun is in the trying.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 pm

eddie:
Here is one really good way to pitch your tarp in pretty much any weather. Unless the wind were to change 180 degrees, which it can, it won't be much of an issue. If the wind were to swap directions like that, you would simply drop the open end down and let the wind spill over the top. Also, in the winter, you can pitch your tent similar to this and stay just as warm as in a tent.
UL

New Tent! Tarp%20Set%20Up%200032.New Tent! Tarp%20Set%20Up%200023.New Tent! Tarp%20Set%20Up%20004
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:08 pm

UL
Do you carry no seeum or something for bugs?
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:11 pm

HBH:
Usually starting in April I'll start carrying bug netting of some kind with me. I'll usually do this until late October. Depending on where I'm going, I may carry a full bug net that covers my whole sleeping bag, but I have just carried a head net, which works pretty good. It just kinda depends on how spartan I want to make the trip.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14 pm

Do you use a store bought net or one you made? I am being inquisative because I am seriously contemplating taking just a tarp and head net to Colorado in August.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Also what tarp are you using? Is it a MYOG or bought and what would you recomend for someone to start with? Also I don't carry poles. Only one 5.5ft stick... guess I would just have to be on the look out for a second stick huh lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:20 pm

I usually just buy one. I get my head nets from an Army Surplus store in the area. They seem to work really well.
As far as a whole bug net, I have one from Coghlan's and one from Camp Inn. I bought both of these at Sportsman's Warehouse. There's one in Lowell, just north of Fayetteville, on 540. The most I paid for them was about $25.00. I got one on clearance for $10.00.
I've read on different sites where people have made bug nets out of wedding veil material, with pretty good results.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:27 pm

The tarp pictured above is an 8x10 Equinox tarp from Campmor. It is silnylon and weighs around 14 oz. You could tie the tarp off to two trees or use two sticks that you could find pretty much anywhere in woods here in Arkansas.
An 8x10 is usually the size most people start with. It is large enough that it will protect you from most weather conditions. I have used my 54"x84" poncho on a few occasions, but it was mainly when I expected no rain in the forecast. You could also use one that small in a rainy situation, but you will need to use it in conjunction with a waterproof bivy sack that your sleeping bag fits into.
BTW, the tarp cost about $60.00 at Campmor when I bought mine.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:30 pm

I have a 8x10 silnylon tarp that I use with my hammock. I use trekking pole so I will have the poles. I was more concerned with bugs. I have used my tarp quite a bit but it was after the frost and cold.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by lew1043 Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:35 pm

I agree with UL on pitching the tarp facing the East. I did close to that same pitch under UL's direction in May (he helped me out before I left). It was facing the N East and it was dry underneath after a big storm. Choosing a higher spot would've been better. UL you need to do a clinic on how to pitch tarps. Maybe you could get paid with BBQ. Oh Yeah were supposed to be eating right...Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I will bring you guys all the BBQ you can eat hahahahahaha.. but yea I would love to see a clinic for that.. hell we could make a day or two out of it. UL's place is nice or we could do one of the state parks.. might be kind of fun there as well. What do you say UL? lol
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:22 am

Daggum. I've missed a lot today.

First off, this was way back, but I know what you mean with the spinnaker cloth. I've got a tarp that I made for hammock camping, and it is made out of spinnaker or a spinnaker like fabric (never could ID it for sure). And let me tell you, it is loud! But I found 14 yards of it in the Wally World $1 bin so for $14+tax, I got it all. Whatever it is, its waterproof and light.

I would also like to take maybe an overnighter to somewhere centrally located to learn about tarp setup. I've just got a 8'x10' DIY tarp that I just set up with a ridge line when I'm hammocking. Heck, I'm sure we're all good at something that we could teach everyone else about.

I think thats all Very Happy! Everyone have a happy 4th!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:01 am

Hey guys, you're making me blush! Embarassed You bet. I'd be more than happy to show you what I know about pitching a tarp. We will definitely have to do this, either on a trip (which is what I would prefer) or maybe at our next get-together. But certainly plan on it.
While we're at it, we ought to have willky and preacha man give us a clinic on hammock camping. Maybe combine the two so that everyone can see the pros/cons of each way of going.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:01 am

I love that idea because I have considered both tarp and hammock!
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:58 am

I LOVE MY HAMMOCKS AND TARPS Very Happy I would love to learn new ways too.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Precha will have to be on a trip for a hammock camping clinic. He knows way more about it than I do.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:54 pm

UL and others,
Do you carry a tyvek sheet for a ground mat with your tarps? I am weighing the pros and cons of the tarp vs the tent for my trip. Please add any input you may have. I am normally a hammock camper but the sub alpine environment is not noted for its multitude of places to hang hammocks. I have used both tents and tarps and realize that both have their benefits. My true preference is the hammock which makes this a interesting choice between the "other two"

Total time in the wild = 8 nights. The scenario for the trip is a 1.5 day 20 mile hike into the site. A base camp will be set up and day hikes will be made from base camp. The overnight on the hike in and out may be skipped if the timing allows. It is just being factored in for timing purposed.

Tarp

2lbs with cord and stakes no ground sheet 144 x 132 hex

30D Sil nylon ripstop

Tent 3 lbs 12oz with stakes, fly and cord 3’6” x 7’10”
Alps Mountainerring Mystique 1.0

Tent Tarp

Proven dry in storms Pro can
have problems in swirling wind and rain Con

Small Con Room for pack and gear under tarp Pro

Sleeping only Con Can
be used for a nice shade and cover in the daytime Pro

Heavy Con Light
Pro

Under protection Pro No under protection Con

Bug protection built in. Have to carry some no seeum
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Well the pros and cons were spaced out and under headings. That did not work after the post. Tent first then the tarp in the pros and cons. Sorry for the confusion.

HBH
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next