Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas time is coming (a little late).

+2
Jay
onepaddlejunkie
6 posters

Go down

Christmas time is coming (a little late). Empty Christmas time is coming (a little late).

Post by onepaddlejunkie Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:46 pm

I am beginning to foam at the mouth a little bit! I went to Ozark Outdoor Supply to get fitted for my Christmas present the week before Christmas and found that if I wanted a new Gregory Baltoro to fit my ABnormal body (6’ tall with long legs and short torso) I was going to have to wait. If you need a small pack with medium shoulder straps and a large waist belt, nobody is going to have that in stock. Yeah I know I need to loose some weight! Stop picking on me! My new Hennessey Hammock came in the mail today. I may have to hang it out back and sleep in it tonight! Man ... how I love playing with new gear! I should be rich so I can get more to play with!

onepaddlejunkie
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Christmas time is coming (a little late). Empty Re: Christmas time is coming (a little late).

Post by Jay Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm

I love the smell of new gear. It has that familiar 'outdoor supply' store scent to it.

If you do manage to strike it rich somehow, don't forget about your good buddy Jay! He's always on the lookout for new gear!
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Christmas time is coming (a little late). Empty Re: Christmas time is coming (a little late).

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:45 pm

A bit of advice on the hammock. Experiment with it a lot! Pretty good learning curve but when you have it all figured out they are great. The wife and I both have one.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:49 pm

ouachita hiker wrote:A bit of advice on the hammock. Experiment with it a lot! Pretty good learning curve but when you have it all figured out they are great.

And don't leave any sharp objects in your back pocket at bedtime!
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Better yet.... remove EVERYTHING from your pockets, sides, belt ect. before getting into it. But then your not a real swinger till you hit the ground at least once hahahaha. Trust me, I know
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Hmmmm, this hammock thing is interesting to me!

What if you toss and turn alot?
I gues that it is only for nonskeeter months?

Very light, you are off the ground and easy to set up,hmmm

already more pros than cons

I am sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread, I need to read some of the archives.

ED
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 pm

ED... I too am a tosser and turner.. that is untill I hit the hammock. The drawback that I have with it is all the extra warming stuff yo have to have when its cold out. Under quilts, Top quilts, pads and a wide varity of other parafanalia. Anytime its 70 degrees or colder you must have something under you as the damn thing will wick all the heat away from you. Skeeter months you have to have some kind of bug net. And I have had them still bite me through the material. Had to lay a peice of fleece down in the hammock then get in.. And this was in August. Check out www.hammockforums.net... lots of good people and info there. Sorry to double hicjack this thread.. you guys may continue to talk amongst yourselfs. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.... hahahahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by onepaddlejunkie Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:36 pm

I now have my new (Christmas present from my lovely bride) backpack in my hot little hands. Thanks to the patience and help of the staff at Ozark Outdoor Supply I have a Gregory Baltoro that fits me like a glove. I loaded all my stuff in the bag last night and determined that I have way too much stuff for my own good. I need to be kind to my knees and stop hauling the kitchen sink.

onepaddlejunkie
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Good looking pack.... Little heavy for me though. I am trying to keep my everyday packs down under 3lbs. Good craftsmanship in the Gregory's though. I fully understand about the "To Much Stuff Syndrome" TMSS hahahaha. Just leave out the kitchen sink and the espresso machine. lol
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by onepaddlejunkie Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 pm

I have one of those light weight packs, but I only use it as a day pack or water hauller when I'm playing out in Arazona. I am getting old and fat so I'll just slow down and stop when I get tired. That won't take very long! I am at the point where comfort is more important than distance traveled.
I started looking for my wifes pack this afternoon and couldn't find it anywhere. She is in need of a pack upgrade also. If I can find it, I may need to unload 1 Ultimate Direction Warp Speed in the future.
I really hate to leave the expresso machine home though! If I did that, I would have to drink INSTANT (shudder).

onepaddlejunkie
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 pm

I am generally not worried about distance either. I just don't want that much weight on my back any longer. There are worst things than drinking INSTANT... plain WATER hahahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:06 pm

They make espresso machines that work using a ordinary stove top. I have thought about buying one, and then, after seeing how it works, seeing if it will work over a fire. I love Amanda' new espresso machine, but then again, I almost eat coffee beans all the time.

Onepaddlejunkie,
If you are serious about hammocks let me know and I will show you all different kinds of hammocks and tarps, and all the gear to stay warm in hammocks.

***I smell another Toad Suck Clinic coming on***
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 pm

ROAD TRIPPPPPPPPPPPPP hahahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by onepaddlejunkie Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:23 pm

I like road trips. Ever been to Mikes in Conway? Very expensive, but the food is quite good.
I don't know squat about the hammock that I do have. Sleeping in a hammock is going to be a new experience for me. I've been waiting untill it warms up a little to try it out in the back yard. That way if I get too cold - I can wuss out. I have thought I may be able to use my exped syn mat to provide that bottom insulation. I'm not sure if the yoga classes will be enough to help me squirm into a bag on top of the mat inside the hammock. I broke a sweat just typing all that up.

onepaddlejunkie
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Dude you have no idea... a pad in a bag in a hammock is a trick indeed. Almost as bad as trying to zip up my bug net while laying in the hammock. That is truly a new trick. lol. Of course you know your not truly a hammocker untill you have hit the ground at least once. Myself, I am up to about 5 times now, lol. So post it when you hit the first time please. lol
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:15 am

Wait until you have made about 20+ hammocks and have several nights testing each of them out. I have hit the ground more times than I can count, and Amanda still laughs every time.

With a Hennessey, getting into a sleeping bag is way harder than a top entry hammock. Amanda loves her Hennessey Desert Rat, but it is all top loaders for me. The real way to go is top and under quilts, warm and snug all the time.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down