Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blazes in the wilderness?

3 posters

Go down

Blazes in the wilderness? Empty Blazes in the wilderness?

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 am

Ok here is a topic of discussion for everyone:

What do you think of blazes in wilderness areas? For or against.
The reason for this topic is if you read Tim Ernst Arkansas Hiking Trails the Caney Creek and Buckeye Trails were at one time blazed with off-white paint. I think that that was done when the youth crews still worked the area, up to 1994. I have hiked it up to 1980 and started back in there around 2000 and I have never seen a blaze. I feel that blazes would be nice from Katy falls to the high ridge above the Katy Creek.
I have considered asking the FS if we could do this but if the trail is cleared I don't think that it would be needed. What do you guys think?

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Blazes in the wilderness? Empty Re: Blazes in the wilderness?

Post by ulhiker Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:47 am

OH:
I think an occasional blaze, especially in areas where the trail can get confusing, would be appropriate, or some other method of marking the trail. Out west, they use the rock cairns to mark the trail. This does not distract from the wilderness experience as much as a line of blazes every 100 yds or so.
As long as one knows before they start that the trail is not well marked, then they can prepare appropriately for staying on trail.
Great topic,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:47 am

UL,

I have thought about doing the rock cairns. If you read reports on Chariles site people do get confused on the Buckeye trail between the Caney trail and the top of the ridge. On top of the ridge heading out it is clear and no problems. In fact last Sat. WE got confused! One of these days we will get all of that cleared up. I wish I could spend every weekend in there but that isn't possible.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 pm

As someone who got his ass lost in there, I would still have to say I prefer no blazing. I don't mind seeing them along regular, well-traveled trails such as the Womble or the Buffalo. But if I purposely go into a "Wilderness Area," I want something different--the real deal.

I prefer the wilderness stay as untouched as we can make it while still being navigable. My $.02.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:23 pm

Jay,

If the area was cut back some, and by the way all the FS wants is a path, not a freeway, thru the wilderness, then a pile of rocks every so often would be enough to keep the average hiker on the straight and narrow.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm

I think that's the key: keeping the trails in decent shape. I think the cairns is a good idea.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:26 pm

Well we both know that the trail we are talking about is one heck of a beautiful trail. Just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Janet and I have talked about starting at the base of the mountain and clearing to the top. Would take awile but that way I don't think we would lose the trail like we did coming down.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down