Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?!

4 posters

Go down

Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?! Empty Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?!

Post by Preacha Man Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Hey guys,

While yall are probably having a great weekend hiking, here I am watching my 2 boys and little baby daughter. We all could have gone to Branson for a princess teaparty, but that not my cup of tea Very Happy. I thought it would be neat-o to get together once the temps fall and camp out and see what other people use to stay warm. I could host something up here, or I am fully up to driving to a place that I have never been before.

It would be a good time for us hammockers to see how each other stays warm, and Scott could share the love/warmth with his jetboil coffee press. Just throwing out a thought. I'm thinking maybe January/February, that way Christmas will be out of the way?

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?! Empty Re: Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?!

Post by Trail Monkey Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:39 pm

I am game... I will prob be up around the Buffalo area during that time anyway lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?! Empty Re: Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?!

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Dwight,

Janet and I would be interested in a meeting some were this winter. If the gas, diesel for us, keeps going down we all might could just afford to go some were for a change. I had planed on some trail work this weekend but ended up going down into south AR instead. No fun. Any way might I mention some were in the Ouachitas? Not that we wouldn't mind coming up into the Ozarks. I stomped around up there when I was at Henderson back in the 70's.

Folks probably are tired of me mentioning Caney Creek Wilderness but I still think it is one of the nicer places in the Ouachitas. From the East trail head there is around a five mile hike into Katy Falls and there is a nice large camp site above the falls with plenty of trees to hang from. Also from Buckeye Trail there is some of the nicest views in the Ouachitas. From what I have been told it is bushy as of now but Janet and I will have it cleared soon. Any way just my two bits worth.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:42 am

My only time hiking in the Quchitas was doing the winding stair about 15 years ago. I would love to go back, I am really game for anything, and would love to see some place new. Do the falls freeze in the winter? If so, that would be cool to see. Oh well, any place with a lot of firewood, and coffee Very Happy

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 am

In the 70's I did many winter hikes in the area of Caney Creek. I can remember ice on the sides of the water fall freezing but not the total water fall. On my list of places to go down here is the Winding Stairs. Got to do that this winter.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Where/When are we going to have an AB winter campout?!?!?! Empty Caney and Buckeye trail video

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Dewight and all,

I had forgotten about this video on the Caney and Buckeye trails, it was taken early in Dec. so you might find it interesting as to a place to meet up.

Caney video

The wife and I are going to to do trail work there this weekend, check my other post.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by chili Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:50 am

Hurricane Creek Wilderness
chili
chili
Real Backpacker

http://www.myspace.com/chili36

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:02 am

Yep, I have to admit that would be a good place also! Been there..
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down