Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Weather (how is it at your location?)

+5
willky1
ulhiker
HillbillyHkr
Clif
ouachita hiker
9 posters

Go down

Winter Weather (how is it at your location?) Empty Winter Weather (how is it at your location?)

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:05 am

Ok guys,

What is the weather doing in your location? Here below the Dierks dam it is 33 degrees and just rain but is suposed to transition to freezing rain by noon. Could be a real mess. I am really concerned about the trails.
Not just the Caney Creek area that I have worked so hard at clearing but all the trails. Ice storms can make
our trails into a real mess! Any way speak up.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Winter Weather (how is it at your location?) Empty Re: Winter Weather (how is it at your location?)

Post by Clif Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 am

in the metro Bee Branch area (southern edge of Van Buren County) temps are right at freezing, below here and there above at other places. Don't think enough ice accumulated to be a major problem. Looks like more precip fell north of us, like all along the Buffalo area and north. Maybe north of Clinton. Temps are colder up that way than here normally. The ground is not frozen. See what comes today.
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Winter Weather (how is it at your location?) Empty Re: Winter Weather (how is it at your location?)

Post by HillbillyHkr Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:36 am

Fort Smith is OK so far. The bridges are icy and the trees have accumulated ice in some places. We got alot of rain last night. A few degrees colder and this would have been worse than the storm in 2000.

Hope everyone is making it ok.

I think the Highlands trail and the Buffalo trails will have taken a major hit as far as ice damage.

HBH
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:34 am

Conway's right at freezing. Don't know what the roads are like, but I have seen a few cars running around.
If Lew went to work today, then he can tell you what it's like from Greenbrier to Maumelle.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:55 am

A couple of people I talked to this morning said the roads were okay at Conway. Little Rock isn't to bad either. However, me being the safety minded person that I am (or lazy), I took the day off Very Happy!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 am

Well I am up to 34 degees but there is mixed precep just north of us. Temps are supposed to really drop this afternoon. Could get rough. We will see.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:42 am

The temp here in Farmington/Fayetteville is 31*. Right now it is raining and a lot of rain is flowing off my house. There are icicles on the power lines, and everything else. As long as the temperature holds and maybe goes up,it should be alright, but I am not counting on it. We are just bundled up inside, and Amanda is about to put on a big pot of soup.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Mount Vernon MO: 19 degrees, snow and sleet, 1/4" of ice underneath some accumulation.

I'm not going anywhere for awhile.

Be safe everybody.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Hope everyone fairs well. Sorry to hear that some of you are indoors for a while. Be safe, wear your helmut, don't miss the short bus hahahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:04 pm

Temp here was up to 38 degrees. Just checked my out door temp and it is down to 37.9. Not much but may be heading down. Supposed to get down into the 20's tonight with some accumulation.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I spoke to my friend that lives up on the Buffalo near Marble Falls. He said the tree damage is huge. They have 1" plus of ice coating everything. He is fine and holed up for the duration.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm

So far, its been much of a non-event. Everythings melted and its just raining. Could all change by morning, though.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 pm

Lost power here 2 to 4 or so.. I guess, we all went to sleep. My wife worx in Conway and sed the beginning was just north of Greenbrier, about the 25 split. From there on lots of ice. North of Clinton is sposed to be lots of ice, not on the roads tho.
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:06 am

Well looks like we dodged the bullet, again.. At this time everything is well below I30. It stayed well above freezing last night. 26 outside now but no mosture. I hope you guys came out ok and hope the southern ouachitas came out ok. I know the OHT must have take a big hit and posiblly the OT also. I bet there is a lot of snow up at Rich Mountain. Might have to go up there this week end and check it out.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am

Well we got a good dusting here in Memphis. Just enough to shut the schools down and cause all kinds of wrecks. Mostly just the bridges and overpasses but the ground sure is pretty. May have to make a run outside today to grab a few photos. Hope all you guys made it ok.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:52 am

Well here on the West side of the state I guess that it blew thru so fast and the temp didn't hardly drop till the precep passed that we didn't get a thing. The wife went out and drove around and nothing is evident. No school closings. So hopefully the Caney area and the ERL was spared. I hope to get up and check out that area this week end and will check back with everyone. I sent an email to to the FS office in Mena yesterday but haven't got an answer back. Am sure they were shut down.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:22 am

We woke during the night, early am Wed, in the dark. Finally back on about 4 pm. Guess we were blessed. One of the worst aspects of being powerless is the questions. Friends checking were telling us that a large portion of our area was out...why? How long? How bad is the rest of the area and state? by the time I got things going on the generator the news was done.. and not much chance they would talk about what I wanted to know anyway. I hesitate to run my computer on the generator and I surf info way more than watch tv.

We were engineered to be ok without electricity, and have the backup anyway. Propane heat, water heater, stove..top, no oven, and wood heat also. I am on the end of the line. Stops in my yard. So like when the tornados ripped last year we can be out for a while, almost a week. I am reading it will be several more days before all is back up. Lord help those folks. It is COLD up here.

Waiting now to call and see if there is power at work.
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Winter Weather (how is it at your location?) Empty not too bad here

Post by onepaddlejunkie Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:10 pm

I finally got off by lazy behind and moved the broken limbs from the driveway. Lots of places hit worse than we had it here in Dover. Keep warm you all.

onepaddlejunkie
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:01 am

Well its glad to be back. We lost power Tuesday at 6:30 pm, and just got it back tonight a little while ago. My neighborhood is destroyed, and I had to go buy a gas wall heater Wednesday to heat up my house. We are all ok, and everything went great. If anything it was kinda relaxful. I have cleared a lot of my brush and all of the brush at the church. In all I only lost 1 tree. Compared to my neighbors I got out squeaky clean. Hope to catch up on reading the post soon.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:53 am

Glad you and yours are all ok.. was begining to worry about you Dwight. No go take a hike lol
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:13 am

Dwight,

Glad your back. Sorry to hear about the destruction. The wife and I remember the massive ice storm that s. ar. had back in 1994. I know what you guys are going thru. We were without power for 3 wks. There wasn't a pwr pole standing in the county. We escaped it here. Went into Caney Creek from the W. and it came out without any more damage.

OH

Last edited by ouachita hiker on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:20 am

Our print shop is out for maybe another week. Sad Some friends in Dennard have been told maybe 2 weeks.
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:48 am

preacha:
Glad you're back, buddy. I know the northern part of the state got hammered. I just hope they get the power on for all those who still are doing without. Kinda makes you want to stop and give a hearty handshake and a big thank you to those linemen the next time you see them. I've got several friends that work for Petit Jean Electric and I know they work their butts off this time of year getting power restored.
Here's to them!
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:14 am

ulhiker wrote:..... I know they work their butts off this time of year getting power restored.
Here's to them!

cheers AMEN!
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:05 pm

There are a few of my church members that are still without power. One young man in our church works for an electric cooperative, and he said one lineman was working 18 hours straight. I could not imagine no sleep and 100,000 volts.

I feel like I need to take my bow saw and cordless reciprocating saw and go out to the Butterfield and try to clear it up. It has to be horrible.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down