Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much food have you carried at one time?

4 posters

Go down

How much food have you carried at one time? Empty How much food have you carried at one time?

Post by ulhiker Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:09 am

I'm planning a couple of long-distance hikes for next year (15-day 225-mile John Muir Trail (High Sierras) hike and 11-day 165-mile OHT hike) and was wondering what's the most food you've carried at one time.
The JMT hike will include a couple of re-supplies, but the last re-supply is 125 miles from the end. This will mean carrying approximately 8.5 days worth of food. To make it even more of a challenge, the food has to fit into a bear canister that is 8" diameter and 10" high. Mad
My plan for the OHT is to do a no-re-supply 11-day thru-hike. This will require carrying 11 days worth of food at the start.
I intend to eat only one hot meal per day (dinner) and it will be limited to freezer bag meals. My goal is to get my daily food weight down to 1 lb. per day, so calorie-dense food is a necessity. I will also re-package any freeze-dried foods that I take to help further reduce weight.
So any ideas as to what you have done to reduce your food weight and how much you carried at one time will help greatly.
Thanks,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

How much food have you carried at one time? Empty Re: How much food have you carried at one time?

Post by snowsurfer1973 Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Honestly UL I think with your ul experience you will have the best ideas about this as anybody but the question is still a good one.The most I ever carried was 14 days worth and at the beginning it was not fun. It coontained of instant white rice and dehydrated black beans for dinner, Lots of instant breakfast for breakfast and a bags of trail mix for snack. I have never been a big lunch eater on the trail. I remember the weight in the beginning was alot, I don't remember how much because back then I never weighed my supplies. My food took up about two thirds of my pack though. You will have to get pretty tricky to fit thaat much food in a bear cannister. Those sound like great trips with an impressive timeline to finish them. The JMT will be about 16 miles a day on some pretty tough terrain in spots, you will have to really hump along. Happy planning.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

http://beyondtheface.com

Back to top Go down

How much food have you carried at one time? Empty Re: How much food have you carried at one time?

Post by ulhiker Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks for the input, Snow. The trick to averaging 15-16 miles per day is to start early and end late in the day. Usually about 10-12 hours of hiking per day. Not so much about speed as just longer hours.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Agreed, HUMPING does not refer to speed though it refers to keep on going when your gassed. Here I can put fifteen miles in by lunch if I start at 6am but on the JMT that is a different story. Have you ever put that many miles in in such a place. I don't mean to question your ability but I honestly don't know your past experience. I have hiked on the JMT, and the PCT, the A.T. all through the Rockies, Sierra Nevada's, Sangre de Cristo's and so on. Putting that many miles in a day is tough in these places. You have elevation issues( hiking in higher elevation you might as well consider hiking one mile=to two if you are not acclimated for a period of time). Many people plan these great trips and don't put this stuff into consideration. It is not just a matter of putting longer days in it is the matter of not being used to the elevation and the terrain and quickly getting to the point where you absolutely can't go anyfurther cause' your spent. Again I have no idea your past experience so you may already know all this.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I hope you don't take offense to my questioning UL, it is strickly coming from the guide in me that has led groups in areas such as the JMT and has seen firsthand how quickly not being prepared mentally and physically will end such a wonderful oppurtunity. As far as long distance trails go the JMT is not up there on the list but it does summit many 13,000 and a couple of 14,000 footers and is quite tough. There most likely be days 14 or 15 miles will not be doable. Than you have to make that up on another day. And playing mileage make up in such a place can wipe you out completely. Again I am just sharing my experience and not trying discourage or imply that these are not things you have not considered already.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Snow:
I don't take offense. I used to live in California and did quite a bit of backpacking while I lived there, so I know what to expect as far as elevation goes. I've also backpacked and done backcountry elk hunts in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado since 1980. I used to live in Las Vegas, back in the early 1980s, and used to do alot of hiking on Mt. Charleston (elevation 10,500 +), just north of LV. Also did a lot of skiing at Brianhead, Utah while I lived in LV. So, I'm not a stranger to altitude. I know how to train and prepare for altitude. But I do appreciate your asking. Too many people plan for everything regarding a trip like this, except their physical condition.
Got it covered, but thanks again.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:21 pm

13,000 and 14,000 footers are far different than 10,000+, and on the hardest trail in the PCT area it is even harder. Skiing in elevation is not even in the same neighborhood, I find it just as easy to ski in Alaska as I do in New Hampshire. But your right you know your ability better than anybody and I know mine. Having hiked the top half of the JMT which is the hardes part with the highest peaks I was lucky to get in ten miles on a long day. Here I have the endurance to put in twenty miles in a 9-10 hour day. in the Sangre de Cristo's I am planning ten a day in September and I know that will be a good long day to. If you haven't done this type of elevation and been able to pump out 14-15 miles a day before, on the hardest trail section of a long trail probably in the country, I think that many miles is alot but I guess you will find out when your up there. I am simply stating you should to bring extra food and let loved ones know it could take up to a few days more, just so they don't come looking for you if don't check in on the fifteenth day, or 16th-17th. This is expert advice from avery experienced guide, who has been in that very area and experienced it's wonders, not advice just from some guy who doesn't know, take it as you will though.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:52 pm

I appreciate your input. I am a little puzzled though. All of my research of the JMT shows that there are only two passes that are over 13,000ft; Forrester Pass at 13,180 and the summit of Mt. Whitney at 14,496 ft. There are four passes at around 12,000 ft.
I have been doing a great deal of research regarding the JMT, just as I would any hike of this length and duration.
Again, I know what is necessary for me to pull off this hike and I do not go into this thing lightly.
Thanks again,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Your right it is three 12,000, a 13,000 and a 14,000 footer on the last half. It has been a while since I have thought about the JMT.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by chili Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:39 am

I will be interested in your menu in terms of calories if you get weight down to 1# per day.
chili
chili
Real Backpacker

http://www.myspace.com/chili36

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:06 am

Chili:
When time gets a little closer or if I get it done sooner, I'll post what I come up with.
Thanks,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:04 pm

Hey UL,

have you done anymore thinking in you food? I would love to be able to hike the JMT. I hope it goes well for ya.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I really haven't had a lot of time lately to put together a menu for the JMT trip in August, '09. I am planning to thru-hike the OHT in either January or March '09 and will probably use that as an opportunity to fine tune my menu.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Let us know when you do the OHT, I would love to join you for part of it. I would also like to see your food setup.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Preacha:
I'd be more than happy to have you join me for as long as you can. Lew is planning on going with me.
As time gets a little closer, I'll post some menu ideas. Most of it will be freezer bag meals, primarily for dinner. I usually don't have hot breakfasts. I would rather get on the trail early. Lunches are usually jerky and dried mangos. Some snickers usually fill in the gaps.
It's not a menu full of variety, but it works.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 pm

You sound like me, I do granola bars for breakfast, Jerky/dried papaya/trail mix for lunch, and usually some dehydrated something for dinners.

I tried to do a section this last March, but got completely flooded. We were about 14 mile to the Hwy 23, when it started pouring all night. When we woke up the creek was way up, and there was no way to cross it. We hiked back up to the road (FR1009 I think) and a boy I was with was able to call his mother. She was so scared she called the sherriff, and they came to pick us up. they sent 3 cars from different directions, and only one was able to reach us. We had to leave our packs becuase there was no room in the car, and when I went back the next day, all was gone. I had a great time on the trail, and would have waited the storm out, but his mother was antsy. Oh well, I got to replace my packs and gear with new and better stuff.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 pm

I usually have a breakfast of granola cereal, dried blueberries, and powdered whole milk in a freezer bag. Add about 1/2 cup water and sit back and enjoy. Sometimes I will add chopped walnuts to it for an even heartier taste.
A friend and I did sections 2 & 3 back in January and had a great time. It did sleet on us the last day, but that just added to a terrific hike. It stayed in the low to mid 20's for highs for the 3 days we were there. It was also his first time to sleep under a tarp!!
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down