Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a cool site!!!

2 posters

Go down

What a cool site!!! Empty What a cool site!!!

Post by David Holthus Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Hello all you hikers out there. I was told of this site by a member of the Arkansas Canoe Club, which I have been a member of for quite a while. I use the ACC site almost everyday when I'm trying to plan my weekend canoe and kayak trips and I've found it very helpful, so I glad to see a similar site for hiking. I've met a lot of good people and made some lifelong friends thru the ACC. When I'm not paddling, I'm hiking and vice-versa. I try to camp every weekend I can. I am usually accompanied by my lovely lady Maurine and my faithful dog Rocky. One of my favorite areas to hike is the Ouachita Mountains. I am working on doing the Athens-Bigfork Trail this year and I've done quite a bit of it. I call Hot Springs my home but I live in Little Rock now because I work in Jacksonville. When I have to stay close to Little Rock I hit the Ouachita Trail in the Winona area or the Lake Sylvia loop. I used to travel out west for work so I've hiked in California, Utah, Arizona ,Oregon ,Montana ,New Mexico and so forth but I love hiking in the Ouachita Mountains the best. Look for a green Ford Ranger 4wd with racks at the trailhead and I'll have a smile, a handshake and a cold beer for you. Very Happy

David Holthus
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

What a cool site!!! Empty Re: What a cool site!!!

Post by Jay Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey David! Thanks for the props on the site. I hope it really grows and becomes a good resource for all the great folks around here.

You sound like my kind of fella. I live down in The Ouachitas (Mount Ida area) and I've been known to partake in a super-cold adult beverage myself!

I'm planning a thru-hike of the Womble in (hopefully) the near future. I'm thinking the whole thing might take 4 days or so(?)

I'll definately be on the lookout for a green Ford Ranger with racks from now on! (Keep 'em Extra Cold; there's nothing like a frosty beer on a really hot day!)
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

What a cool site!!! Empty MT IDA

Post by David Holthus Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 pm

AHHH MT IDA I would live there if I could. Have a burger at the Dairyette for me. One of my favorite spots to camp around there is up the road by Fiddler Creek. The little fishing pond on the left or up where the Ouachita Trail crosses the road. Mt Ida is a dry county Sad but I keep a well stocked cooler when I'm in that neck of the woods.

David Holthus
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Yup, the good ol' Dairyette. And if you've never eaten at George and Rascal's, they have some great food too! You should check 'em out!

I've come to realize that it's a very good area for those quick weekend day hikes. I have a million different places to go within just a few minutes from my house. I can't complain much.

(Except for the Dry County thing..grr.)
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down