Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking)

+4
ED
John
Jay
ouachita hiker
8 posters

Go down

Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking) Empty Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking)

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:46 pm

No

Last edited by ouachita hiker on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking) Empty Re: Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking)

Post by Jay Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks for posting OH.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking) Empty Re: Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking)

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Jay,

In one more week Janet and I will check out our sections and when I know the conditions I will post. Going into Caney Creek this weekend.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Current condition of the OT (taken from AR hiking) Empty Current Conditions of OT East (Sections 9 & 10)??

Post by John Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi All,
Newbie here to the forums. I have a trip planned on Sections 9 & 10 of the OT scheduled Monday (Nov 2nd). My question is, with all of the rain hammering the state last night and this morning and these trail sections being low, will I be plodding through swamp and mud for a good portion of the way? I assume already that I'll have wet crossings of the Pipeline Creek. That's no problem. But if this area of the trail holds water for days then I might be better off deferring to a more western portion of the OT.

Thanks for your comments.

John

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:05 pm

John,

Well I would like to say welcome to the board! As far as you question goes I can't answer it. You might try emailing FoOT,
friends of the Ouachita Trail at FoOT@freindsOT.org some one there either could answer it or point you in the right direction.

Tom
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by John Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks, Tom. I'll do that.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:33 pm

John watchout for that "Tom" guy, he is mean and nasty. LOL I am just kidding Tom is a great guy, helpful and knowledgable about backpacking and Arkansas trails in general.

Glad to have ya John we need more Texas boys around here

,ED
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by John Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Well, I made it back from the OT and what a wonderful hike. I apparently caught it at just the right time......plenty of water sources yet only three wet creek crossings. It was a little muddy in places but not terrible. With most of these 2 sections being on private land, it was tough finding camping sites. It was as if they really didn't want you camping on their property. So we had to resort to stealth camping.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by happyhiker Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm planning to do that same trip on the 21st through 23rd. Any tips on the stealth campsites? The FoOT site lists the previously established sites as gone.

happyhiker
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by John Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Yeah, they took away those two and replaced them with one at mileage point 208.3 (just passed Reece's Creek crossing). The kicker is that the spur trail to the campsite is .9 mile and uphill. At the end of the day that's not good. But on the flip side, the camp has tent pads, bear poles and a grated fire ring.....very nice. No water, however. Fill up at Reece's.
You pretty much have to find your own flat, unrocky spot.

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:18 pm

instead of trying to find a flat, unrocky spot, find 2 trees and sleep in a hammock Smile Always works for me, and a few more enlightened ones Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by John Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:55 pm

That's a good solution, Preacha. How warm do you sleep on winter nights?

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Sounds like an idea...hmmm..now where is my hammock??? geek
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 pm

John,

Its actually really easy, and in some cases, weighs less than a bag and pad. Look in my photo gallery and you can see pics of different hammock setups, and you will see my underquilt that I use with a top quilt inside the hammock itself. Trail Monkey has a down Under/over quilt set that keeps him really warm for about 2 pounds of weight.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Thurs night got down to 34 and was toasty...
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down