Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Condition of W. Ouachita Trail

Go down

Condition of W. Ouachita Trail Empty Condition of W. Ouachita Trail

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 pm

The following is a email that I have received from Bill Sears. He is over maintance of the Western Ouachita Trail in Oklaholma. I thought that the group would like to have this info:

Trail conditions as of Saturday January 31, 2009
Rhonda and I spent part of Saturday looking for trail sign needs and locating ice storm damage. I am pleased to report to you that for the most part the trail looked good. Sure there are limbs down on the trail. Most can just be throw off the trail. We did not see any large trees down on the trail and the number of widow makers was small. I am sure there are a few trees down on the trail. We will just have to wait and let the reports come in.
If you have a tree down and need it cut let me know and I will add it to the chainsaw list. The list has become very small, thanks to the effort of the usfs and Bill Durant. We still have a few to get cut, but we are close for now.
The final trail sign list is almost in. I have been to all the areas that I thought were in need to signs and submitted them to David Fox to construction. Several adopters gave me a headsup on signs in there area. If you think of any signs still in need let me know and I will see they are added to the list. We did run into a group of hikers from Texas. They had some foot and ankle issues, but otherwise they were out to enjoy the trail that you
guys work so hard on. Pashubee trail head looked great, great blazing, and now I know where the trail is suppose to be located. Good job guys!!!

Bill Sears

Well looks like the Southern Ouachitas and the Western section of the OT are still hikeable. Janet and I will get up to our section of the OT on Rich Mountain in two weeks and I can give folks an idea about those trails then.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down