Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status

2 posters

Go down

Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status Empty Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status

Post by dismalhiker Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 am

I have a few questions about the Buckeye - Caney Creek loop. Last hiked it in 1978. I'll have to dig out the old pictures; at this point they're historical photos!

Back then, I recall Buckeye Mountain trail as having a lot of open views... really spectacular. There was a steep descent to Katy falls and, back then, you could camp near the trail junction.

Questions: Are these trails in relatively good shape now? Also, are there designated camping areas now? Any other advice/tips about these trails would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
jc
dismalhiker
dismalhiker
Hicker

http://ouachita.dismalhiker.org

Back to top Go down

Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status Empty Re: Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:56 am

JC,

I can help somewhat with your question. And what I can't answer willky1 is hiking the loop this week end and
he is going to inform me on the trail conditions when he gets back to Conway. Last winter and spring Janet (outlawpacker) and I decided to work with the forrest service to clear up the Buckeye. Mainly because of the reports that I had read on how badly growup I had read that it was. Well the main problem was briars. Lots and lots of biguns!! We cleared all of the buckey from the point of the trail head to were it drops down of the ridge to Katy falls. It SHOULD be clear of major growth but with all of the rain we have had who knows. I also cleared one tree across the trail (cut and cleared with a hand saw) I don't know if any more have fallen.

The ridge trail isn't as open as in the past. I was told by the forrest service that because of past drought, and the pine bark beatle that the old oaks are dieing. Not all but enought that I am concerend. The trees are thining out so there is more sunlight on top thus more briars and weeds. We cleared alot of those and as far back of the trail that I could reach. I hate them. There are still plenty of views. Check my web link to web shots and you can see some pics from recent years.

The Caney trail, as of last Nov. , was in farely good shape. Since then there have been wind storms and a heavy spring snow storm that have felled some big pine trees. I havn't seen these but I did talk first hand to a hiker that had to go around them. They have I have been told been cut thru by the forrest service. I want to get back in there but time hasn't been right for me. By the way there are trees down everywere because of the pine bark beatle.

Hope this helps..
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status Empty Thank you...

Post by dismalhiker Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks O.H.... I appreciate the update, very helpful. I'm looking forward to hearing the latest from this weekend.

I'm kind of surprised that the forest service is maintaining trails in a designated wilderness area. I guess the trail was there before the Caney Creek Wilderness Area was created, so they allow it to remain and even maintain it.

Anyway... thanks again.

-jc
dismalhiker
dismalhiker
Hicker

http://ouachita.dismalhiker.org

Back to top Go down

Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status Empty Re: Buckeye Mountain and Caney Creek trails - current status

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:46 am

JC,

Back in the late 70's I met a group of kids that were working on a trail rerouht and maintining the trail. I don't think much has been done since then. We just decided to start work on the Buckeye due to the sad state of the trail. They overwelmingly welcomed us with open arms! The money isn't there now for trail maintence. Janet and I enjoy doing the trail work. As of now our work is simply clearing brush and briars. They told us to remember that it is a wilderness and we just tryed to keep a corridor thru the area. We haven't even gotten to the Caney trail yet. As far as the trail goes the trail on the ridge wasn't even a trail when I started on it back in the mid 70's we just bushwacked our way and had a blast! Did you ever go down into the Short Creek drainage? I did that several times back then and had a blast. I wouldn't do it now due to all of the downed trees. This is still my favorite area to hike and I hope to see you on it some time in the future.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down