Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report

+7
lew1043
ouachita hiker
Clif
Trail Monkey
ouachita explorers
ulhiker
Preacha Man
11 posters

Go down

Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report Empty Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report

Post by Preacha Man Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Ok guys, you knew that I was going on a solo trip, and I finally went. I left Wednesday after church and made it to the Boxley trailhead around 10pm. I had my pack all ready to go, so I slept in my truck that night. Amanda was worried because the forecast was calling for a wintry mix, but I promised her that I would be safe. I woke up Thursday morning at 6:30 to sleet hitting the windshield. I had my old green Coleman propane stove, so I got it out and began boiling water for my Oatmeal that morning. I wanted to hit the trail right at Sunup because I knew that I had a lot of miles to do.

I started hiking and about 4 miles in I ran into another solo hiker from Memphis named Jamie. He was doing a smaller hike, and was almost finished. About mile 6 I ran into 2 more guys from Michigan, and they took 4 days to Kyle's and back. I made it to Ponca at 11:30, so I stopped there and had my lunch, I hurried up and went to Steel Creek and continued on. I was amazed to see everything empty, and there were signs up in Steel Creek saying that the bathrooms were closed until April. I left there and headed on up to Kyle's, and when I got to Slaty Place, I noticed that I had cell coverage. I called Amanda and told her that I was fine, and that I liked the snow because at least I wasn't getting wet Very Happy. When I got to Kyle's I kept on going and finally made it to the Parker-Hickman place around 6pm. I stopped there to eat my chili and air out my socks, and left around 6:45. Since I still had light I decided to continue hiking, and made it a little past Erbie before I had to put on the headlamp. I marched on, and stayed the first night on the trail at the Cedar Grove Picnic area. My feet were sore, and my right knee was feeling a little pain but not that bad. My first days mileage according to UL's BRT spreadsheet was 32.2 miles!

I woke up on Friday morning at 6:30 again and it was cold. I got up and took down my tarp and hammock and packed up everything. I put my breakfast in my pocket and hit the trail. I knew that I could get cell coverage to check in with Amanda at Ozark so off I went. When I got there, the camp host, Roger Very Happy , was there, and welcomed me to the camp. I used the restroom, ate my breakfast, called Amanda, and Roger not only filled up my water, but gave me another bottle. I headed off to Pruitt and made it there at 9:15. I took some pictures, popped some blisters and taped my feet, and then headed back from where I came from Very Happy . When I got back to Ozark, Roger had all the camps water on so I filled guzzled down about 2 Liters of water, and filled up my bottles. I got to the Parker-Hickman Place for a late lunch, and headed on to Kyle's. When I got to Indian Creek, there was some kind of leadership class from Conway doing survival training, and there was 45 of them scattered all over Indian Creek and the River! I made it back to Slaty Place around 6:30pm, so I called Amanda and told her that I was still fine. Since I still had light, I decided to continue on, and spend the night at Steel Creek. When I got to the overlook, There were 4 guys from Springfield, MO, and they were carrying huge amount of stuff. I talked with them for a little while, put on my headlamp, and continued on to camp. When I crossed Steel Creek, I ran into 2 other guys from my neck of the woods, and one of them was carrying a dozen eggs Laughing . I commented on his eggs, and all he said was "whats not to love about eggs?". I left the boys and when I got to Steel Creek Camp, it was loaded with people. They had opened at noon, and I guess everyone moved in. I decided to get water there too, and when I did a Scoutmaster from Guthrie, Ok stopped me to talk. He too was a hiker, and he had a huge tarptent. I talked with them around the fire for a little while, and when I noticed that it was already 10:30pm, I told them goodnight, and I spent the night in the restroom underneath the sink. I know, I know, but I was tired, and I didn't want to get back on the trail to find some trees Razz . My feet hurt really bad, but my blisters were turning into callouses. My right knee at times would hurt really bad, and made downhill extremely painful. My right shin also began to hurt a little too. My second days mileage was 28.2 miles!

I woke up at 6:30 on Saturday, underneath the Steel Creek Mens Bathroom Sink Twisted Evil (you can't say that now can you). I loaded up my pack, stuck my cereal in my pocket and headed off to Ponca. My feet really hurt, and it took about quarter mile for them to ease up and then I hit my stride. I made it to Ponca in no time, and when I got there I used the bathroom, and then sat on the Low Water Bridge and ate my cereal. I was a good morning, and even better knowing that my truck was 11 miles away. I got up and started the BIG climb towards Boxely. Uphill was fine for my knee, so I went up it like pro. I ran into all kinds of groups on this section, multiple groups, all over the place groups, all the way to the end. One group told me that they were from Ole Miss, and it was none other than Arkansas Backcountries Own!!! I talked with OMSC for a while and then went on. At one point about 8 miles to go, my knee really gave me a fit. I thought I was going to have to stop, but I sat down to pray. While I was praying, a young doe began running straight towards me. I said Hey, but she kept on right toward me. She got around 15 yards from me, when I stood up, and she finally bolted to the side. After that my knee still hurt, but at least it was bearable. I finally limped in to Boxely Trailhead around 2:30pm, and went home. My third days mileage was 12.6 miles, for a 3 day total of 73 Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will post pics later, and even though I am a little sore, I am really glad that I was able to do it. My knee and shin are fine now, but it will take a few days for my feet and muscles to get to normal. My base pack weighed 9 pounds, and then my food weighed 9 pounds. This was way too much food, and I gave a lot of my bars away to scouts. I still came home with 2 snack bags of jerky, a quart bag of trailmix, and 3 bars.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report Empty Re: Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report

Post by ulhiker Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Great trip, PM. I'll bet the trail was awesome this time of year. Looking forward to the pictures.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita explorers Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 pm

That is....I mean....wow! Very Happy That was awesome.
ouachita explorers
ouachita explorers
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:07 am

First off, here is my truck and stove making oatmeal, preparing to head outPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5733
This old gas stove caught my eye on the way to Ponca, shortly after leaving Boxley
Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5721
I took this pic of the Elk on Saturday, right after I passed the cave by PoncaPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5826
The Cave by Ponca Very HappyPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5732
Yeah 11 miles and PoncaPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5731
The passage between the rocks just before Steel CreekPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5730
Where I spent Friday night Twisted Evil Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5729

The only deer that I scared that stopped long enough for me to get a picPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5728
My pack and map (yes I actually backpacked all 73 miles cheers Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5727 Steel CreekPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5726
The Overlook of Steel Creek CampgroundsPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5725
This is how much it snowed at Slaty Place on ThursdayPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5724
The Slaty Place sign (if going to Pruitt, turn Right here)Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5723

For me, the only neat part between Kyle's and Cherry Grove Cemetery Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5825 Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5824
The Parker-Hickman Place Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5823
Adair Cemetery (the first time I passed this it was dark)Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5821

The whole area around the trail was burned from Erbie to Cedar Grove Picnic AreaPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5820
Me in my lovely hammock, sleeping at Cedar Grove Picnic Area Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5819 Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5818

Ozark campgrounds, where Roger is the Camp host (he does a great Job) Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5817
One of the two bridges that lead on into PruittPreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5816
Yeah Pruitt cheers, now time to turn around.Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5815 Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5814

I met up with the guys from Ole Miss, they had just started and I was finishing up Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5812
Finally, back to Boxely and I can go homePreacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5811
What would your feet look like after 73 miles in 2.5 days Question Preacha's Buffalo Solo Trip Report 101_5810
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:13 am

Your crazy after all... lol. Have fun preaching tomorrow... need a chair.. lol. Congrats to you PM.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:19 am

No I don't need a chair Razz . The blisters do not hurt at all, its the pads of my feet that hurt, and they do not have any blisters??? Oh well, I did take a lot of steps on rocks.

Next time you will have to come with me TM Twisted Evil
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:37 am

Wow.. Don't know how you wuz plannin' to meditate any while doin' this. What a trip!
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:27 am

Dwight,

Wow! What I hike!! You dad Man!!

You are the king of high milages here thats for sure!

Congads! cheers

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by lew1043 Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 am

Nice trip report! You are nuts! Great pics! Glad you snapped a pic of the Ole Miss guys.

Lew

lew1043
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:05 am

Clif wrote:Wow.. Don't know how you wuz plannin' to meditate any while doin' this. What a trip!

What else do you do while you are walking? I had plenty of time, and plenty of times when I needed to pray. I do not think I will attempt a trip like this anytime soon. I may do 20 mile days, but not 30 Shocked . There is no way that I could have done this without dropping my body weight, getting into shape, and cutting my pack weight. Thanks to all who helped and prayed for me.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 am

PM:
Just curious as how much weight you lost while doing this trip?
BTW, the feet look just great!! Razz
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 am

They aren't really RESTrooms. I hope you don't take things so literally in your preachin' style! Razz
Coldspring
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:05 pm

ulhiker wrote:PM:
Just curious as how much weight you lost while doing this trip?
BTW, the feet look just great!! Razz
UL

UL,

I lost a pound and a half. I was expecting a little more, and I still could I guess. My metabolism is all fired up now and I am always hungry. My feet fell better today, it is my calves that are killng me the most, but everything will be fine soon. I am leaving for Oklahoma today and I will be gone all week. I am supposed to be hiking up Mount Scott in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge tomorrow Shocked , and I will do it affraid ! I started referring to my trekking poles as my crutches, and there would have been no way I could have done my hike without them.

As far as sleeping in the RESTroom, when your exhausted, anywhere will do lol! affraid
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:11 pm

PM.. I know the feeling on both parts.... We should do the BRT again in a few weeks... More normal like though. lol
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:10 pm

That's an amazing accomplishment! I know I could not do something like that...atleast not until I get in better condition!

Hope you returned fulfilled from your time of solitude and prayer.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 am

Awesome stuff, PM. I'm thoroughly, THOROUGHLY impressed. Way to go! cheers
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Just thought I would post and let yall know that my feet and muscles are a lot better. It only took a few days for my muscles to relax and not be sore while I walked, and now my blisters are dried up and fine. It was all well worth it, and now I am planning my next solo hike. I am planning on keeping all future hikes in the 20 mile a day range, but if there is still light and my feet are fine, I may keep on going. My right knee still twinges every now and then, but I will get that fixed all next week at the Chiropractor. Thanks for all the support, now get out and hike Very Happy
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Dwight,

I adhere to the idea that dates back to Jim Fix, the running guru from the 70's, he esposed the idea to listen to your body. I know that you know that but I would like to add listen to your knees! Take care of those knees! I had pre-mature arthritis in my
right knee and had a knee replacement at age 54. I don't want anyone to go thru what I went thru! Of course you couldn't tell it now! I try to hike as much as I can, just not 20 or 30 mile days!

P.S. Jim died of a heart attack while running! He in the end didn't listen to his own advice. He had warning signs and ended up having a heart defect that he wasn't aware of.

Good luck!
OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks OH,

I was born with Patella Femoral Syndrome, and it is where essentially my knee cap moves to the side with every step. It hasn't hurt me in a long time, but those downhills really did a number on it. I didn't take any medecine, and now it is fine. If I stopped eating so much here in Oklahoma, I would probably go running Very Happy

I agree with listening though, it is possible for some of us stubborn ones to push ourselves too hard Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Dwight,

Since the discussion is of knees. When I had my knee replacement the knee is replaced but the knee cap is original equipment! It pops with every step. Bugs the heck out of me! Dosn't hurt but is annoying as heck! The surgeon told me that if it didn't have made a grove in the bone with in a year I will just have to live with it! As the wife says my bones are to hard and won't grove! Guess I am just a hard &%# if you know what I mean!

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by OleMissSouthernComfort Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:42 pm

Great to hear PM made it out alright. Myself and the rest of the boys from Ole Miss made it out alright and had a great adventure in the process! After talking to Preach and talking extensively with a host/volunteer at Erbie I am looking forward to my own solo trip, or possibly just a extended hike with one other person. Anyways, congrats Preach! Yall keep on hiking.

OleMissSouthernComfort
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down