Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT sections open for adoption

3 posters

Go down

OT sections open for adoption Empty OT sections open for adoption

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:43 am

clown

Last edited by ouachita hiker on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

OT sections open for adoption Empty Re: OT sections open for adoption

Post by willky1 Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 pm

OH,
I'm interested in doing this. I don't know much about it though. Also, which of these sections are close to a road/trailhead? That way, maybe, one could be maintained in a dayhike setting.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Kyle,

Do you have Tim Ernest's OT guide? All of the sections correspond to that guide. I have lent mine out and I can't check them out. There should be some trails closer to you. Any way I will try to figure this out for you. By the way you are only required to maintain your section of trail twice per year. If it hasn't been maintained in quite some while it might take you awile to get it back to specs but when you get it there there isn't a whole lot of work to be done unless mother nature throws you a curve ball! If you have major trees down FOoT will send a crew in to cut them out. Email Loretta at nurseloretta@juno.com and ask her she probably could let you know. By the way you guys these sections can be adopted by groups of hikers! You can work together or go at different times.

Just noticed before I posted this message that if you look closely at the list you see which ones have access. Some have FS rd. # or highways listed. Check closely.

OH (Tom)
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

OT sections open for adoption Empty Trail Tools

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Guys,

I just thought that I would mention that in most cases you may already have tools that you can use for trail maintance at your house. If you are like me you will evolve into wanting/needing some more specialized tools.
Loppers, basic tools for cutting small to medium limbs, are the most basic of the tools used. Most folks already have these. The Fiskars brand has some of the best, the ones that we use have a compound leverage system that helps with the cutting. These are the ones that we use:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100072616

Also what I find that I like to use for big briar patches are headge shears. I am about to order some new ones from Lowes that have adjustable handles from 13" to 20".
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=69843-63731-HS3950D&detail=&lpage=none
These will make short work of a big briar patch!

If you are interested in a saw this is the one to use. All of the trees that we have cut thru in the Caney Creek wilderness, including a huge Hickory was cut with this saw:
http://www.benmeadows.com/search/fanno+k-24/7303/

Any way this will give you an idea of what I use.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:09 pm

OH,
When you say "some trails closer to [me]", are you talking about sections on your list above?
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Kyle,

Yes, the trails at the bottom of the list would be closer to the state park end of the trail. By the way I am getting some guys together to do some more work in Caney Creek in Feb. if you would be interested. That would be a pretty good drive for you though.

Tom
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 pm

You're right, it is quite a drive, but I would like to try to make it. I want to get more familiar with that trail. And see what it looks like cleaned up.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Kyle,

Looks like Feb. 7th is the main date as of now. We have guys coming in from the Dallas Sierra Club to help. Mark Davis (Ar.Hiker) from Mt. Ida is coming over. Also my son Bryan from OK City will come over plus a few ladys from Mena and my wife. If you can come over then keep in touch and if any thing changes with the weather I will let you know. If you can come over Fri. afternoon you can come to our campground. If we can get a good group of guys it will make a huge difference cutting thru the big timber.

Edit: I forgot to add that I think Ed from Texarkana hopefully will come up also.

Thanks!

OH (Tom)
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita explorers Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:22 am

My wife and I have been talking about adopting a section of the OT for awhile. I found a section I think will work for us but I was wondering what you have to do in order to conduct trail maintenance? Certifications and where to get them?
ouachita explorers
ouachita explorers
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:31 am

All you need is some basic tools. Janet and I have refined our tool needs by trial and error. Plus FOot will send you a suggested tool list, I also have it, and also a basic trail maintance handbook, that is in Eform. It is the same one that the OHT folks use. By the way if you join soon there is going to be a big gathering at the Big Brushy Campground Sat. March 28th. We will be working on trail that will be used for the a big mountain bike race (sorry can't remember the name at the moment). You could learn a lot that day. Breakfast will be provided. I will send the announcement to you. Any way we can help just ask.

OH (Tom)
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

OT sections open for adoption Empty Updated list of adoptions..

Post by ouachita hiker Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:40 pm

For anyone else that is interested here is a updated list of areas of the OT that can be adopted:

SectionMile XX to XXMileageDescription
110.6 to 13.42.8Small Rock Glacier to Cedar Branch
113.4 to 15.52.1Cedar Branch to Rock Glacier
119.9 to 21.71.8Horsethief Springs to FR 6014
121.7 to 23.72FR 6014 to Winding Stair TH
239.2 to 42.02.8Kiamichi river TH to Mile 42 (Kiamichi Wilderness)
242.0 to 44.02Mile 42 to Mile 44 (Kiamichi Wilderness)
479.9 to 82.02.1Turner Creek Gap to Mile 82
482.0 to 85.03Mile 82 to FR 76/west
485.0 to 90.35.3FR 76 /west to FR 813 (3 miles is on the road)
596.0 to 98.02FR 33 to Mile 98
598.0 to 101.03Mile 98 to FR 274/west
5101.0 to 103.02FR 274/west to Mile 103
5105.6 to 108.73.1Rainy Creek to Top of Suck Mountain (old road bed)
5117.2 to 119.01.8Womble Trail to Mile 119
6121.7 to 122.60.9Hwy 27 TH to John Archer Shelter (includes shelter)
6122.6 to 124.21.6John Archer Shelter to FR 148
6124.2 to 125.81.6FR 148 to Sandlick Mountain (FR 148A)
6136.1 to 138.82.7FR 78 South Crossing to Hwy 298 TH
7143.2 to 145.01.8Blue Mountain Shelter to Mile 145
7153.0 to 155.12.1FR 107 (east access) to Hoot Owl Gap
7158.4 to 159.41Moonshine Shelter (includes shelter) to Hunt's Loop Intersection
9199.0 to 200.51.5Mile 199 (big Cypress) to 200.5

Remember: larger sections can be divided into smaller pieces or adopted by a group, club, or team of family and/or
friends.
If you are intested please go to FOoT's How to Help website .

Thanks,OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down