Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum newbie

+3
Preacha Man
ouachita hiker
commandokanak
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum newbie Empty Forum newbie

Post by commandokanak Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Hey all....
Wanted to say and introduce myself. I just found the forum and lurked for a few days but decided to go ahead and register. It's been about 12 years since I've done much hiking and backpacking when I live in Aspen, CO. School, family and career had taken me out of the game for a while.

My reintroduction to backpacking was a short weekend trip to hike up Blanca Peak (a 14er) close to Alamosa, CO about two weeks ago. That hike really tested my limits. Physically the most grueling experience I've had my whole life, but it was a truely enjoyable experience. The trip was planned by someone else, otherwise I'd have chosen something a little easier! The group I went with, all guys from Fellowship Bible Church of NWA in Rogers are planning to hit some local trails for experience and conditioning for future trips to CO. We're going back next year because we didn't quite make it to the peak. We were all too exhausted!

Looking forward to participating in the forum as well as hitting the trail!

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Forum newbie Empty Re: Forum newbie

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:32 pm

Well i would like to be the first to say welcome to the forums! This is one of the best groups of guys that you could hang out on the web and also quite knowledgeable. I live in Dierks just south of the Ouachitas.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Hey Commando,

I live in Farmington, and would love to invite you along on the Butterfield sometime, it is just south of us about 30 minutes. Welcome to the forums, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks guys...

Preacha...ironically the Butterfield is what I was thinking about making my next hike. A few of the guys from the group that went on the CO trip with me were talking about another trip as well so maybe we can organize something soon. How is it this time of year? Are the bugs really bad? How about critters and snakes and such?

I've live in AR most of my life and have visited Devil's Den dozens of times but I've never done the Butterfield.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Welcome to AB commando!

Glad you decided to jump in.

And yes, this time of year the bugs are pretty bad. Luckily, you're talking to Preacha who just happens to be the AB salesman of the year! Razz His wife sells Avon Skin-so-Soft, which is actually pretty good for keeping the bugs off!

Anyway, again, welcome!
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Welcome Welcome... and from someone who slept in a hammock with no bug net this past sat. YES the bugs are bad.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by zenlizard Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:00 pm

Cool!

Blanca was my first 14er. That's quite a view off the ridge eh? The trees at the bottom look like moss.

zenlizard
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by zenlizard Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:03 pm

Oops! I skipped over we didn't make it to the peak. Hey, that is one tough climb. It's worth going back for though.

zenlizard
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Zen...we did make it to Lake Como (spelling?) and a couple of the guys continued on to the upper lake but that's as far as they went. We are planning on returning and making it to the peak next year. We figured out that we need another day to get acclimated to the altitude as well as the constant ascent. This trip we left at 2:30am Friday 8/1 and made it to the parking area at about 1:30-2:00pm. I didn't sleep before meeting and I just could not get to sleep in the van on the way out so I had no sleep. We strapped our packs on and started up the mountain. We hiked for 8 hours and made it within 1/2 mile of the lake. When we stopped it was well after dark and we found probably the last level spot before the final stretch to the lake. We just couldn't go any further, if we had, someone would have gotten hurt. Next year we will make it a full 4 to 5 day trip rather than 3 like we thought we could do this time. None of us were conditioned well enough to compensate for the altitude. We also figured out we packed way too much! I'm quickly converting to UL backpacking! I'm the only one who packed a tent, everyone else had hammocks. I'm hanging next time I go out...just have to get one first! I also need to get a smaller bag...mine's too big, 3+lbs and it doesn't compress well either. All my stuff is 12+ years old as well as being on the cheap end so I need to work on updating it as $$ comes available.

And again to the rest of you guys...thanks for the welcom.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:44 pm

commandokanak wrote:Thanks guys...

Preacha...ironically the Butterfield is what I was thinking about making my next hike. A few of the guys from the group that went on the CO trip with me were talking about another trip as well so maybe we can organize something soon. How is it this time of year? Are the bugs really bad? How about critters and snakes and such?

I've live in AR most of my life and have visited Devil's Den dozens of times but I've never done the Butterfield.

My favorite time is the ens of september or October, then March. But really it is nice all the time. I sleep in a hammock, and this time of year it would have to have a bug net. The other critters have never bothered me there, except one time with a mouse @ 2:00 am, but that is another story altogether Very Happy. PM me if you are interested in going sometime, I Pastor Unity Missionary Baptist Church in Farmington, so I would have to be back for Sundays.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:22 am

I know the bugs are bad right now. They were bad up on the mountain in CO too! I can handle most but mosquitos and ticks I just don't want to deal with. A couple of the guys are on staff with my church and we are part of the Saturday night congregation so I understand about having to be back in time for service. I can usually cut out of work early enough on friday to get some hiking in. It'll probably be mid-Sept. before I can go anyway.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:23 pm

Mid-September sounds great to me, just let me know.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Dwight,
I saw you on the hammock forum advertising a tarp your wife made. They look sweet! You wouldn't happen to want to trade that and maybe a hammock for a yakima roof rack would ya? Very Happy

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Very Happy My wife just told me that she would kill me if I put one of those on her minivan Very Happy, so I guess I cannot trade you. I am glad that you noticed over on HF, and that tarp is still for sale for all of those who were at the Tarp and Hammock Clinic.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by zenlizard Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Yeah, you have to give yourself more time than that. What worked best for me was spending the first night camping around 8'000 ft., the next at 10,000 ft., then the day after that I'd go for a peak. I've been stuggling with knee problems and a groin pull the last few years and haven't been out there in a while. The next one on my list was the Crestone Needle. One of these days.....

zenlizard
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Well I love my Tarp.. thanks Preacha... now about the bug net for the hammock hahahaha. oh and cant forget about a pocket/stuff sack... or the tv shelf and the solar panels... oh almost forgot the Christmas lights and the urinal... hmmmm guess I had better stick with the basics huh... would have to get Jay to haul all this for me Wink. Oh Jay how come you did not camp out at the clinic man. Did not think about it till yesterday hahaha.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:52 pm

commando,
I know this is a little late, but welcome! Great to have you. Have you and your group from church ever thought about making the CO trip to Mt. Elbert? I did this about 4 years ago and it was so awesome! The view is amazing. Just a thought, and again, great to have you!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Wilky...
This was our first outing but future trips aren't out of the question. We all decided that we would go back to Blanca Peak so we could actually reach the summit. In talking, we all want to hit the trail a bit closer to home as well. I'm thinking we'll hit the Butterfield trail first, hopefully in Sept. One of the guys has done several 14er's, I'll ask him about Elbert. Thanks for the welcome!

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:13 pm

seekingfun209 wrote:Oh Jay how come you did not camp out at the clinic man. Did not think about it till yesterday hahaha.

I was going to, but when I found out you were buying that tarp and would be sleeping in it that night, I was worried that you'd try to sneak into my tent in the middle of the night just to get a decent night's sleep! Laughing

Actually, I just had a lot to do the next day and needed to get an early start. I would've had to get up really early to make the long drive home. Don't worry buddy, you'll get your chance to camp with me! (But no, you can't share my tent.)
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Ah.. no more tents for me freind... I guess I am a swinger now hahahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Eddie,
Good to see you've converted. You'll neve look back. And maybe you'll be a real man and buy a sewing machine and learn to sew your own hammocks...haha!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Actually looking at one tonight hahahaha but I have my hammock... looking to make a underquilt and a mod on a sleeping bag that Preacha showed us at the clinic.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Be careful. You're toying around with something that some people would call an addiction. Me included!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 pm

It's not an addiction, I can stop anytime I want!!!!!! Laughing

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Yea well I am already thinking that this thing will be COLD this winter. So I got to get my plan in motion now to decide how I want to adapt to this thing lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next