Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS Newbie - Need some assistance!

2 posters

Go down

GPS Newbie - Need some assistance! Empty GPS Newbie - Need some assistance!

Post by hikerman446 Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:03 pm

I just bought a new Garmin eTrex Venture HC and I am looking to use it for hiking/backpacking and to geocache with my kids for the first time! I am trying to figure out just how I am supposed to use it, though.

I have mapsource, and with free topo and trail maps I found on the internet, I have created a "track" that follows the trail I will be hiking and uploaded some waypoints of that trail along with the "track" to the gps unit. I have also used this site to load some caches along the way.

Now... the stupid question part. How do I use what I loaded on the gps? Do I just go to the trail and it tells me how I get from start to finish? Does it tell me data between the waypoints I marked? I feel like a moron asking this but I am not sure what to do next and I couldn't find anything very informative on the net or in the manual.

Thanks!

hikerman446
Hicker

Back to top Go down

GPS Newbie - Need some assistance! Empty Re: GPS Newbie - Need some assistance!

Post by EpicThought Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:57 am

HikerMan,

Garmin is a great GPS, good choice. Once you have your waypoint entered, it is really easy to follow the GPS to it. From your main menu select the "Find" icon. It will lead you to a new screen. From the new screen select "Waypoints." It will show you a list of entered waypoints. Select the waypoint you want. Now you should see information about the waypoint displayed. At the bottom of the screen select "goto." By default it will show your map, but you can switch to a second screen that will show direction to the waypoint, distance to the waypoint, ect...

I hope this helps, but if not I have a plan b. Watch this video, it gives good instructions for the process.

EpicThought
Day Hiker

http://www.ArkansasOutside.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hikerman446 Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:23 am

Wow... extremely helpful Epic. Thanks a million for this! I am heading out with some buddies to the OHT in Feb to do Section 6 and I am looking forward to tracking it with a GPS for the first time.

hikerman446
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by EpicThought Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:49 pm

No problem. I hope you have a good time. Let us know how your trip goes.

EpicThought
Day Hiker

http://www.ArkansasOutside.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down