Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knee check up

3 posters

Go down

Knee check up Empty Knee check up

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey guys!

I went to Little Rock today for my yearly check up on my knee replacement. The doc says it is
doing great! He even helped me with a nagging problem I have been haveing with pain in my
right hip. Yep I have had a pain in the butt!! I have had a pinched sciatic nerve that has been giveing me
some serious problems for quite some time. Ever heard of Piriformis syndrome? Well I have it
but it is cured by exercise! No surgery needed! Exercise I can do! Walked about a 1.5 ml. tonight.
So I should be ready for sure for the bbing season!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Knee check up Empty Re: Knee check up

Post by ulhiker Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 pm

If you come to the Tarp & Hammock Clinic next month, I can show you a great piriformis stretch that will get rid of that problem.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:08 am

Ouachita:
Here are a couple of links for stretching the piriformis muscle. Just don't get the knee in a bind.

http://www.drbackman.com/piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm
http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/art-piriformis-stretch
http://muscleventures.com/video/2007/01/piriformis_stretch.html

Hope this helps,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:25 pm

UL,

Thanks for the links, I will check them out. I started with the stretches that the Dr. gave
me this morning. Sure could feel the pull in that area. I also walked 1.5 miles. I will
work it out and i should be alot better of for this falls hiking.
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 pm

UL,

I just checked out the links, they were very good. I esp. like the one in the chair. The
video was nice also. What I hate is that I have suffered for son long now and if I had n
been told about these exercises by my doc I could have gotten over this months ago. Any
way thanks!!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Glad you liked the exercises. Hope that they help.
Please let me know,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 pm

I just found this link on Knee Pain. It says to do the same stretches and exercises that my Chiropractor told me to do. My knee is hurting a little today, and I think my main problem is my Iliotibial band. I do not know if anyone here besides OH and I have trouble knees, but I thought this link might help some.

UL, is the R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation) method the best to help a bad knee? And would running backwards help as well? I am really praying that my new shoes and Sole's help a lot.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:03 pm

PM:
RICE helps best with acute injuries to joints, where there is swelling. Your knee pain may be past the acute phase, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. If your ITB is bothering you, that will also cause you some knee pain, primarily along the outside (lateral) part of the knee. Specific stretches for the ITB will help. Next visit to your Chiropractor, have him check to make sure that you haven't subluxated the fibula (that's the little bone in the lower leg that runs along the lateral part of the leg). Fibular subluxations can cause sometimes extreme lateral knee pain and is usually easily fixed.
Running backwards is best for rehabilitation of foot and ankle injuries, but can benefit knee problems. It is less stressful on the knee joints, because you plant your foot on the ground in a toe-heel motion, rather than a heel-toe motion, so there is less shock (concussion) to the knee. That's why a lot of post-surgery rehab for knees include backward walking. If you start a retro or backward running program, start off on a flat surface, such as a track, and start off slow. You are going to be using muscles differently than what you are accustiomed to and it will take awhile for your body to adjust to this motion. One other benefit to backward walking is that it is a great cardiovascular workout. You will use nearly 1/3 more calories running backward than forwards.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:43 pm

I haven't subluxated my fibula, but I did pick up a tube of Biofreeze. My Chiropractor also showed me some good stretches for my IT band. During and After my run today my knee is feeling a lot better than it did on Friday. I still need to break my new shoes in more, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the help UL Smile
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down