Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Packing Raw Eggs

3 posters

Go down

Packing Raw Eggs Empty Packing Raw Eggs

Post by Jay Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Okay, I've bundled up a few eggs before and carried them on an overnighter for breakfast with no problem at all.

I also remember gathering eggs with my grandmother as a kid and she never refrigerated them. So, I know fresh eggs will last for a long, long time unrefrigerated. But I'm not sure about commercial eggs that have already been refrigerated.

Has anyone here ever grabbed eggs out of your refrigerator and carried them for more than a few days? Or am I gonna have to find a place to buy fresh, unrefrigerated eggs?
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Packing Raw Eggs Empty Re: Packing Raw Eggs

Post by ulhiker Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Jay:
Here's a link to the proper care of eggs. It should answer your questions. To answer one of them, once an egg is refrigerated, it must be kept refrigerated. It can be kept unrefrigerated for no more than 2 hours. I assume that this is at 72 degrees. If I were going out in the wintertime, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Focus_On_Shell_Eggs/index.asp
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks for the link! You're right it answered my question: I need to buy fresh eggs.

Unwashed, unrefrigerated eggs will be fine for me to carry in my backpack as long as I want.

Okay, that's not exactly what the USDA said, but close enough for me! Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Figg Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:10 pm

For multi day trips simply take the chicken with you. Then if you get real hungry..wel you know. Fig Very Happy

Figg
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down