Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+3
John
RedBuffalo
Preacha Man
7 posters

Go down

Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Preacha Man Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Ok guys, after hiking with a lot of you, I have found that some of you are as much of a coffee snob as me. I have tried all different kinds of trail coffee, from coffee in tea bags to instant coffee. I was glad to hear that Tenn_Trekker and RedBuffalo were just as much in the search for good trail coffee as I was, and I think that they finally have found it.

Now to some this may seem trivial and expensive, but there is just something to wake up on the trail, watch the sun come up, and enjoy a really good cup of Joe. At first I was resolved to never have a good cup of Coffee but to just settle for what I could find, and leave the good coffee to car camping. My family and I were on our way to Murphreesburo to mine diamonds and camping at Lake Greason, when we pulled into the Dollar General in Kirby. There I found my first coffee in teabags, it was some kind of dollar store coffee, and I thought I would give it a try (Caution: DO NOT BUY THIS COFFEE, EVER!!!! Evil or Very Mad ) I later found Folgers individual teabag coffee at Wal-Mart, and immediately thought that these had to be better, but quickly found that they were only a little bit better.

Amanda later found me Nestle Taster's Choice instant coffee packs, these were good, but NOT the coffee that I usually enjoy. As I said, I was resolved that good coffee had to wait till home, that was until Tenn_Trekker and RedBuffalo showed me the light!!!!!!!!

They found that Starbucks made a new instant coffee that they call Via. They have 2 flavors to chose from, an Italian Roast and a Columbian. It comes in the same little sticks that the Taster's Choice comes in and is EXTREMELY good for trail coffee. The only down side (if there is one) is the price, which is about $1 per stick. That is until now cheers

I have found them in 50 stick boxes for $30 Here is the Italian Roast, and here is the Columbian. Have fun trying, and if you want to sample before you buy a big box, I think you can buy some from your local Starbucks. I hope that this finds more who are on the search for good coffee.

P.S. If your friend offers to give you some coffee, and another friend has already given you some, DO NOT sit anywhere close to the one who has already given you some. This will result with you not getting as much coffee as you think you should get Razz
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RedBuffalo Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Glad we have a new convert. Thanks for the link on the 50 pack. If we lived closer I'd split a box with you.

If you could have only seen your eyes the instant that "second" offer was made. I know now that coffee is your weakness. Laughing

Here is pictorial of my personal search for the best trail coffee (just shy of a Jet Boil french press). Started with the Melitta funnel w/ filter (weak, messy, and time consuming), moved on to the Coffee Cady w/ under carriage (tasty, messy, time consuming), then the MSR filter (tasty, messy), and finally packing my own tea bags (very bland). All fell short... Then, VIA came on the scene and it won hands down - been drinking it on the trail since Nov. 09' and don't plan on changing. Expensive? In my mind - it's cheap compared to what I've gone through....

Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coffee

Last edited by RedBuffalo on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding link.)
RedBuffalo
RedBuffalo
Backcountry Explorer

http://www.duprephotography.com/links.htm

Back to top Go down

Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Coffee, CoFFeee, COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Preacha Man Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 am

I just saw that Wal-Mart is carrying 3 pack boxes of the VIA for $3. This may be good if you are really desperate and need to get to the trail.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by John Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Is this stuff(VIA) a liquid that you pour into a cup of hot water?

John
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm

it is an ultra-fine ground instant coffee. But you do pour it into hot water and stir.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm a cheapskate. I actually buy the Nestle's Taster's Choice packets at Dollar General, along with my gourmet oatmeal, gourmet mac and cheese, and gourmet $1 generic chocolate bar. There's always a Dollar General on the way to the trail and it makes a good stop to stretch the legs.
Coldspring
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita explorers Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 am

I actually like the Folgers tea bag style. On our recent trip on the Ouachita I tried some and fell in love with them. So much so I left my Via with the shelter register for the next hiker.

I like my coffee strong though and being able to "personalize" the strength of the Folgers is a big bonus for me. Very Happy
ouachita explorers
ouachita explorers
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by trailrelic Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:59 am

Well, since we're taking a poll, I'm a Taster's Choice guy. I take packets of raw sugar and a snack bag of flavored powder creamer. Good stuff and economical.
trailrelic
trailrelic
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenn_Trekker Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 pm

I like cheap as well, but somethings are worth splurging for, good coffee outdoors is in the back country makes a good trip great, or a horifically disastrous trip bearable! Starbucks VIA is my choice!
Tenn_Trekker
Tenn_Trekker
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 am

Tenn_Trekker wrote:I like cheap as well, but somethings are worth splurging for, good coffee outdoors is in the back country makes a good trip great, or a horifically disastrous trip bearable! Starbucks VIA is my choice!

As a Preacher, and Pastor of one the the LORD's churches, I must add a big and hearty AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum