Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dfield and Grandson on ERL

5 posters

Go down

Dfield and Grandson on ERL Empty Dfield and Grandson on ERL

Post by Dfieldhiker Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:35 am

First of all we did not finish the loop. But I believe no backpacking trip is a disaster when all return in a heal-able condition (is that a word?). We started out heading north from Albert Pike on Tuesday morning. I had cautioned him about telling me everything he felt about his clothes, pack and shoes. About middle afternoon he told me he had a blister so we stopped and applied mole skin. We camped about one mile past Little Missiouri Falls. The next morning we headed on toward Athens Bigfork. About noon I ask to see his feet. He had eight blister some on both feet. I knew we could not finish. We decided to turn back but he still wanted to spend another night on the trail so we did. I gave him my shoes and my best wool socks and we put mole skin and about fifty bandaids. I also almost empty his pack into mine. It was a slow easy hike back. We had a blast. He learned alot about the importance of ultra-light and went home with the determination of McAuthor to return. Thanks to all who gave advise.

Ps. I think it would have been a good weekend to visit Texas. 50% of the population were on the ERL.
Dfieldhiker
Dfieldhiker
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Dfield and Grandson on ERL Empty Re: Dfield and Grandson on ERL

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:48 am

Well at least you had good weather. Next week I will be on the OT in OK and I probably won't see another person! Which will be ok by me. I can't even begin to think of having eight blisters. Since I changed my boot and sock combo I haven't had a single blister.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Sounds like y'all still ended up having a good time. I'm nursing the blisters I always get from hiking in my chacos. Might try some smartwools and shoes next time Very Happy.

P.S. This might be better if we move this to the Campfire or Trip Reports. Just for the sake of organization Very Happy.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dfieldhiker Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:16 pm

Sorry I am not as high tech as I would like to be. I am not sure how it was posted under cook stoves. I will watch that in the future.
Dfieldhiker
Dfieldhiker
Backcountry Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Well I guess that this is a HOT topic!

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:59 pm

Haha, Nice OH!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Kyle,

That was a rare moment for me!

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Wow eight blisters, if he needs any encouragement just show him the pic of my feet after my BRT hike. Sounds like yall had a blast and learned a lot.

I plan on trying Injini style (toe-socks) socks as a liner, and then a smart wool outer next time I go out. For some reason my pinky toes blister first, and on my last hike it was the pads of my feet between my first two toes.

I am glad that he enjoyed himself in spite of the blisters, they do heal in a few days.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:13 pm

PM (and anyone else who suffers from chronic blisters Very Happy),
After you hike a bit, you can kind of get an idea where your feet will blister. Then just tape the spots before they get "hot". I know UL does this. Or you could just be like me and suffer for a few days after the trip.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:59 pm

My feet are always taped before I leave, plus I wrap a lot of extra tape around my poles. I didn't have any extra tape when I finished the BRT either Shocked !!!

If I go slow, they usually do not bother me, but I was really pushing myself. People have told me that there is some kind of silicone stuff that you add to you shoes, but I cannot remember what it is called?
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Another thing that I use that I swear by is Hydropel. It is a hydrophobic lubricant that you rub onto your feet and this helps to prevent the formation of blisters.
I also use Spenco backpacker insoles in my shoes. If you are like me and suffer from pain on the balls of your feet, then these insoles are great. They have extra padding in that area, along with padding in the heel area and they help eliminate that pain.
Lastly, I use Injinji socks. These have been an answer to the problems that I have with the last two toes on my right foot. They have always plagued my hiking efforts and these socks have relieved those almost entirely.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down