Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype)

+2
Jay
ouachita hiker
6 posters

Go down

Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype) Empty Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype)

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 am

Question

Last edited by ouachita hiker on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links)
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype) Empty Re: Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype)

Post by Jay Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:44 am

Very cool OH! Keep us updated on your progress!
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype) Empty Re: Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype)

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:51 am

Jay,

this has been fun, recheck it now I added links to info. You have got to try coffee this way! It will be great on the trail.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:04 am

WOW!

Tom,

I am impressed, you realy have done your research. I was wondering how it was all gonna come together.
I am gonna get some more beer cans soon.
This makes me regret buying that $100 Jet-Boil.

I can't think of any thing that needs to be added accept for what you mentioned (just a little tweeking).
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:56 am

Ed,

I am going to take of the wrap for now and paint the center section, where the Heinken logo is, with stove black paint. Then try using the side jeted alcy stove again. It will sent the flames up the sides. I still want the hardware cloth. By the way there is still room in the pot for a couple of fuel bottles! I am thinking about using the MRE spoons that I have (have lots of them) the are made out of a very good plastic with long handles. That way you can reach in the pot cozy to stir your food or eat easily. You get the beer and I will make them up for you.

O by the way put your other stove on ebay and the money you make of it buy something else! I have done that bunches of times.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for the write up OH!
I picked up 2 Heine cans yesterday. The first lid came off just fine, but the second one got a little bent up at the rim and lid. I think I can reshape it though. Good to know about the drywall mesh tape. I have some on hand and was planning on using it. I won't now though. Where do you get fiberglass tape or wicking material?

I like how you put together the two ziplock containers. I just happen to have one of the 4cup on hand. I don't have the 2cup though. The can fits in the 4cup but you can't screw the lid on. I also like how you made the 2cup into a coffee dripper. I will be doing that. I gotta have coffee on the trail! Good job.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:06 pm

You can find wick HERE, This guy has some great stuff. Check out his stoves and youtube videos. By the way the Rubbermaid 2 cup containers will also work. You will have more room with the Ziplock 2 cup, actually it is a little larger than a 2 cup, maybe a 2 1/4? Do like I did and cut the centers out of two lids, sand a little and then epoxy together. They mate together great! I will post any changes here.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Also as far as the coffee goes. I will next go with one larger hole in the center instead of four holes. Your coffee maker only has one hole. Any way my thought. You could use the 2 cup container with the hole drilled and attach to the 4 cup. If I could think of a way to have a container inside the screw top one and use just for coffee. Any way I am still thinking on that one.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Just a little FYI for anyone else gearing up to try this, Foster's beer cans (volume is somewhere around 25 oz) work very well too. I say this, because in some places the Heiny cans are getting hard to find.

Great Job OH! The to lids epoxied together is something that I have not seen before...very clever!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:34 pm

On Mini Bull Designs Tinny sells the larger 2 cup container, like you can go to wally world and get it cheaper, with the two lids cut out. He says to duck tape them together. I had ample epoxy handy so I found a better way.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 pm

OH:
Here's a couple of pictures of the Heineken pot that I made last year. It has been used a lot since then, both with a wood/esbit stove and wood fire. I used fiberglass cloth and aluminum duct tape around the middle part and I added a bail made from a wire clothes hanger to help pull it out of the fire.

Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype) Heinek10

Heinken Pot Cooking System (prototype) Heinek11

Hope this gives you some ideas for your project.
BTW: I like the container idea. May have to borrow that idea for myself. Thanks!!
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ED Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Tom, post up a pic of your "safety" can opener so that I know which one not too get and I will buy one for us. Anyone else can post up some pics of the right one if you have. Thanks!
ED
ED
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm

ED,
I got mine from Walmart (I think it was Mainstays brand), and it was about $10. It is almost all black (some silver metal parts), but it is plastic. Works great. Time will tell about durability.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Ed,

I posted a couple of links to some info on the cutter. The one I used is more for a standard shaped can. Didn't do as well but I made it work.

Go HERE and scroll down till you see the pic. Also go up to my original post and check out the youtube videos. One is on lid removal.

Hope this helps.

UL, Thanks for the pics, I am open to any and all suggestions.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:00 pm

UL,

Thanks! Eddy could find one of those in Texarkana for sure. Looks like we will be making at least a couple more of these. I still would like to wrap the pot with fiberglass wicking. But that will have to wait.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Maybe I was wrong about the brand I have, because I have that same one UL. And the same price.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Kyle,

I think that there are several different brands and knock offs that are simular.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down