Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UL Survival

4 posters

Go down

UL Survival Empty UL Survival

Post by willky1 Fri May 02, 2008 10:07 am

I love UL backpacking (I don't think I qualify for SUL), but because of the lighter load, more care must be taken. Whether its being more careful about where you step because you opted for trail runners instead of the 10lb super-supportive boots or taking extra care to stay dry because the extra large parka got left at home, you must know a few things and have some emergancy gear with you. My kit is made up of a few light things that, in a survival situation, will make staying alive a lot more probable. So, what's in your (UL or not) emergancy survival kit?
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

UL Survival Empty Re: UL Survival

Post by ulhiker Fri May 02, 2008 10:43 am

willky:
Like you, I go UL, and so you have to carry with you a working knowledge of survival techniques, such as being able to build a debris hut, staying warm or cool, depending on the season, etc.
While I don't carry an organized survival kit, I do carry a steel match, waterproof tender (esbit tab or alcohol-soaked lint), and emergency poncho (if it doesn't look like rain in the forecast). I have a small Photon light and emergency whistle that I hang around my neck. I also carry a tiny bottle of bleach to treat water, in case my filter fails. I'd be interested to hear what you and others carry.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

UL Survival Empty My Kit

Post by willky1 Fri May 02, 2008 11:55 am

My kit started out as the Adventure Med Kit Survival Kit. It comes in a plastic pouch that is smaller than a ziploc snack bag, but it is much more heavy duty with a "baggie" style closure. What is in it has gone through a whole lot of changes. Right now its contents include:
-striker (fire starting)
-tinder (fire starting)
-small saw blade (about 3in long; should probably take this out)
-very small lightweight knife (cutting)
-2 sq ft of heavy duty foil folded (for cooking, signaling, cup, etc)
-whistle (signaling)
-water/weatherproof matches (fire)
-snare wire (food)
-heavy duty thread (snares, fishing, gear repairs)
-needle, safty pins (gear repairs)
-some aquapure tablets (still in package; water treatment)
If it looks like rain I also bring a 55 gal contractor bag and cordage (to make shelter easier) and a space blanket any time the weather will be a little nippy.
There's probably more, but I'm at work and that's all I can remember.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Fri May 02, 2008 2:37 pm

willky1 wrote:My kit started out as the Adventure Med Kit Survival Kit. It comes in a plastic pouch that is smaller than a ziploc snack bag, but it is much more heavy duty with a "baggie" style closure. What is in it has gone through a whole lot of changes...

I just bought my base system as well. I am starting off with the same kit you did. http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/kit_detail.asp?series=1000&seriesNav=&kit=1001&kitNO=0140-0707 I am trying to come up with a list of things I want to add to it on my own. One thing for certain I am going to add is a few water purification tablets. I was kinda surprised that it did not include any, but I assume it is because these things do have expiration dates. The best thing about this kit is that it is super small and fits right in your pocket. A survival kit does you no good if it is not directly on your person. What happens if your pack is swept downstream and your survival kit is in it?

Speaking of water purification tablets, what is everyone's choice in this? Iodine or cholorine? Or something I have not heard of yet? Input?
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

UL Survival Empty What I'm Using...

Post by willky1 Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Aqua mira is a good choice, but it won't fit so neatly into your kit. The aquapure tabs by katadyn are also awesome and as good if not better than aqua mira. Also, they will keep good if you keep them in the package. I don't suggest the iodine tabs because they don't work very well, and they stain the bag they are in.

Either the aqua mira or aquapure tabs work almost instantly from what I've read. They say wait for 4 hrs but that is for only one organism (criptospyridium, I know I butchered the spelling), every thing else dies if you just give a good shake.

If this is wrong in anyway, please someone correct me so me and everyone else will know the truth.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Fri May 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Being safe is always a concern of mine in the backcountry. If you follow basic backpacking safety guidelines you will most likely never need a survival kit. Further more after taking a survivor coarse you can do it without just about everything in any kit. I have learned to build fires with no matches or flints but by spinning sticks on shaved wood. Although it is very time consuming it works even in wet conditions. Once you have a fire you stay warm and get dry if needed. There is enough edible plantlife and creatures here to keep you nurtured til you get out. You can make a shelter out of nature and fish with your shirt and a flexible stick.
The only true thing you need for survival in the wilderness is your willing to survive. Keep a steady mind and don't panic. There are not that many places in the US where you are too far from help to get there. I am not saying I go into the wilderness with nothing but most of it you could honestly SURVIVE without.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

http://beyondtheface.com

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Fri May 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Snow, I certainly do agree with you. However, if you can make it a heck of a lot easier by spending a few bucks on essential items, then why not do it? I was an Eagle Scout. "Be Prepared."
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Fri May 02, 2008 4:24 pm

You are absolutely right, always be prepared, but it is still best to know how to survive with the bare minimum. Most people don't carry there survival kit on there person but in there pack and someone stated they may loose it in a roaring river situation. I personally don't like to carry stuff in my pockets when I hike cause' it rubs on my legs and gets irritating, so iprepare myself to get by without anything but the clothes I a waring. I am not saying to go out there with nothing but just saying it is best to have the knowlege to get by and survive with next to nothing. Completely off the subject of this post, sorry dudes.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

UL Survival Empty Off subject, but.......

Post by willky1 Fri May 02, 2008 4:50 pm

This might be off subject, but its right up my alley. Snow, you have hit the nail on the head! I love learning about plants that are edible and how to survive with nothing but my mind (and maybe a knife that I happen to bring along Very Happy; I'm never without a knife). In fact, me and a couple of friends go out in the woods to do just that. We try to eat and survive on what we know and what we know to do. I'm not saying this is something good to do often (don't need to kill animals when you don't have to), but I like to do it yearly just to keep my skills sharp. Most of this kit has evolved into a small amount of things that would make the survival trips easier. Now, its so small I can't even feel it in the pockets of my shorts. However, it is much more fun and less stressful to not get in that situation by being careful, and thinking before you act. Besides, if you do get in a situation on a weekend trip (I usually only take my kit on longer trips), you can survive anything for a night.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by snowsurfer1973 Fri May 02, 2008 4:56 pm

That gives me a great idea to hold a hiking survival clinic teaching to build fires from sticks and teaching about all the edible plants in the area, and the other techniques I know, thanx. I will let you all know when it will happen if interested.
snowsurfer1973
snowsurfer1973
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

UL Survival Empty YES!!!

Post by willky1 Fri May 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Very interested. Keep me posted, and let me know if I can help out with anything!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Fri May 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Just realized a mistake. The "aquapure" I kept talking about is really Katadyn MICROPUR. Sorry for the confusion.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Sat May 03, 2008 12:32 am

Knowing what plants are edible is a great thing to know, but most people are rescued long before hunger becomes a huge problem. Survival is based on the "Rule of 3s".
You can survive: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter (in extreme cold or heat), 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. Within those first 3 minutes, you must also get a grip mentally, calm down, and start thinking, or you won't last, no matter what you have with you or the training you've had.
Fire and shelter are your first priorities and not necessarily in that order. Get those taken care of, then you will have time to find water and then food, if you find yourself out there for more than a day or two.
Tools and kits are not required for any of the above, but they DO make it a whole lot easier.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down