Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roundtop?

+3
Clif
BuffTrek
senatedestroyer
7 posters

Go down

Roundtop? Empty Roundtop?

Post by senatedestroyer Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Has anyone been up on roundtop mountain lately? I went out there about 3 years ago and had a lovely experience... and was just wondering if its still a nice hike, or possibly maintenance has slacked? My friend said that the trail was overgrown when he went last fall.
senatedestroyer
senatedestroyer
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Roundtop? Empty Re: Roundtop?

Post by BuffTrek Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

I went two years ago and felt I was trekking through the jungle!
Then again, it was late May or so on the section near the crash site...
The top trails seemed well trodden though.
BuffTrek
BuffTrek
Happy Camper

http://bit.ly/BushwhackTheOzarks

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm

I heard from a local a landslide going on has this trail closed???
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffTrek Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Wow, I hadn't heard that one yet.
Round Top isn't actually controlled by the NPS, right?
BuffTrek
BuffTrek
Happy Camper

http://bit.ly/BushwhackTheOzarks

Back to top Go down

Post by clouddancer Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Actually the trail has been closed since the ice storm pretty much destroyed it more than a year ago - giant trees fell on the ground all over the place. The property was donated to the Newton County Resource Council, who has no employees and no money in the bank. To make matters worse, much worse, the mountain began to slide away, taking the access road and parking area with it, and it is very close to taking out the little visitor center as well - the bathrooms have already been moving. So the entire area is closed to the public - including the hiking trail - and I suspect it will be closed off for a long time to come. Once the hillside stops sliding, it will take a great deal of money to fix the road, parking area, other facilities, and then finally cut out the trail corridor. No telling where the money will come from to fix all of this.

clouddancer
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatedestroyer Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:42 am

ggggggggggggreat.
senatedestroyer
senatedestroyer
Day Hiker

Back to top Go down

Roundtop? Empty Round Top Mtn.

Post by Merlin Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

I hiked it about a month ago after all the sliding had begun. Most of the trail was in decent shape, but that was before everything began to sprout and bloom. There are still a few trees from the ice storm on the back of the bottom loop that you have to go around. The top loops are mostly ok. The worst part is right at the beginning where the slide has dropped the trail at least 5 feet and you have to climb up and over the slide. The parking area is sliding more each week and the building is in grave danger. The toilets are leaning a bit and the ground around them has dropped and pulled away. The handicapped trail past the toilets is basically gone. Looks like an earthquake has hit as it is sliding down the mountain. I was up there about 2 weeks ago, sliding is continuing, but wildflowers are blooming everywhere as usual. I'm trying to find out if the Resource Council has any plans for the area.

Merlin
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Welcome to the site, Merlin. Roundtop? Icon_cheers
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fmf0301 Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 am

We went a couple of days ago on the advice of the gentleman that runs the Mount Judea lookout gift shop. He said people still hike it quite often. All of the trails are very grown up but if you dont mind and have some adventure in you it was fantastic. Even the handicap trail was fun bouncing from slab to slab. The landslide has torn alot of stuff up but if you are willing to get a litttle dirty you will have a great time. and when you get on top trudge through all of the vegitation and walk all of the trails well worth it.

fmf0301
Hicker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum