Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back from Colorado

+2
Trail Monkey
willky1
6 posters

Go down

Back from Colorado Empty Back from Colorado

Post by willky1 Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:31 pm

Just got back from my trip in Colorado with my folks. It was awesome! We did so much stuff, and I can honestly say that I came back more tired than when I left. We went to CO Springs and visited Pike's Peak and the Royal Gorge while we were in the area. Then we went to Denver and stayed a couple of nights. While in Denver we ate at a couple of places (Casa Bonita and ESPNZone), went to the Rocky Mountain National Park via Estes Park, and shopped in Denver (at the REI flagship store) and Boulder (where the Montbell flagship store is located!). Then we went to Silverthorne Colorado, but we stopped in Idaho Springs and ate at Beau Jo's. I highly suggest you stop here if you're ever in the area (this was my 5th time to eat here and I love it!). In Silverthorne I got to visit some friends who were in Breckenridge for the summer, fly fish, and shop...some more. Dad and I got to spend some quality time fly fishing and taking tons of pictures. Between the two of us I think we took about 1500 pictures! The rest of the time we were shopping with mom (not ideal, but we were in CO, so we enjoyed it.). Anyway, the hottest it ever got was low 70s...a far cry from this Arkansas heat. No hiking, but lots of fun. Now if it would just cool off here so I can get back to the backpacking!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Back from Colorado Empty Re: Back from Colorado

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 pm

well.. what new gear did you get? dang.. keep us in limbo why don't you lol.
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by VanIam Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 pm

I head to Colorado Springs next Thursday. bounce So far my family has Pikes Peak, Great Divide,and we are going to a lake some 2 miles we have to hike to on the Academy. I am not sure if we can camp there or not hopefully so though. I am going to try to get to REI when I go, but I need to spend about $1000 for tires on my truck. Having to replace six tires is no fun at all, so that in mind I cannot go on a crazy spending spree. Sad
VanIam
VanIam
Happy Camper

http://www.myspace.com/arbeechwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:18 am

Goin' to Idaho in a few weeks. Same story. I don't think I will be able to fit in any whitewater. Crying or Very sad But family stuff is all good. Smile St Helens has been put on the list and we will drive right by Ranier, which I am told we will be lucky if we can see it. Often in the clouds.

So maybe a few short hikes. A shame to be in that kind of area and just drive around but hardly any way to bring packs etc... Real reason is a wedding so that takes a couple of days.

Flyin' up. I wanted to drive up and go by Yellowstone as well as follow much of the rockies..... mama sed no Sad It would take days to get there.
Clif
Clif
Trail Guide

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:03 pm

As for gear...i didn't get much just a few things here and there like fuel bottles for my alcohol stoves. Mostly just little things like that. I did however buy some new waders and boots for flyfishing. I got a great deal on them at a fly shop in Idaho Springs. If you are ever in that area, stop by Clear Creek Outdoors. Rob is the name of the guy who owns it, and he is a really nice guy. He also lived in Arkansas for about 8 years. Anyway, hope you guys have a great time on your trips, and be safe!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm goin out to CO on 7/16-7/19. We're headed up to the Breckenridge area, but I'm not exactly sure where. There are four 14er's we're going to hike. I'm really excited because I haven't been to Frisco County in about 15 years...and that was only in winter.

Sounds like you had a great time. Look forward to seeing some of those pics too!

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Commando,
I think you mean Summit County. That is the area we were in. It is so beautiful right now! North of Breckenridge is a town called Frisco. Maybe that is what you're thinking of. They have a great downtown area, and this past weekend they had a huge BBQ Festival. Anyway, you are going to a great area. Let us know what 14'er you're climbing.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Figg Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:12 am

Hey I'm in Denver right now. I spent the day up on Mt Evans at 14000 ft. 40 degrees sure felt great and got to play with my other hobby ham radio. Wish you all were here. Figg

Figg
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 am

Figg if you get a chance, and want some really cool weather (and pic oppritunities) take a day trip to Colorado Springs. When we were on top of Pike's Peak, the wind chill was 13! It just took your breath away. We rode the cog train up to the top. There was no way our bodies were aclimated to the thin air in one day. Have fun while you're up there, its beautiful country!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Figg Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:25 am

Yup were going there. Yes the high alt got me at 1st. I love Colorado. Had buffalo elk and quail tonight for dinner. Yum yum !

Figg
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:57 am

That's awesome figg! Where are you guys staying in CO? Sounds like you've been up there for a little while.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Figg Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 am

We are in Denver, Golden, Boulder, Winter Park and for a while. and our packs arrive this week by Fex X later this week.

Figg
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by VanIam Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 am

Man I am getting excited for tomorrow to get here after reading these posts. Going to make for a slow 2 working days. Sadly, I am not going to get to do any backpacking while I am there, but hey getting there is going to be a blessing. I heard the cog train was an awesome trip. How much did it cost? My sister had a bunch of people with her, so she didn't know the individual cost. We are going to drive my parents up to the top instead of the train ride. Well break is over take it easy everyone.
VanIam
VanIam
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Van,
The cost of the ride is on this page. I think I remember the drive time being about 1hr 15min, I could be wrong. The road up is pretty long and there are some hairy turns. The Railway was really nice though, because you had plenty of chances to take pictures. Be sure and take some warm clothes. It was 20 degrees with a 13 wind chill when we were up there! The wind took my breath away when we stepped off the train. Anyway, hope this helps, and you should be excited! It'll be an awesome trip.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by VanIam Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for the link. Yeah I will most definitely have to take some warmer clothes. I have already gotten acclimated to this heat, so I will probably freeze there. Can't wait to freeze while I am off of work for a week! Very Happy
VanIam
VanIam
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by commandokanak Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Well I went on my hike and had a great time! Since I posted last, my computer crashed and I've been traveling non-stop with work. I'll try to get a trip report posted soon as well as uploading some pictures.

Kyle...you're right, I did mean Summit County. Frisco being a little town in Summit County.

commandokanak
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down