Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triathlon for Testicular Cancer Awareness!!!!

Go down

Triathlon for Testicular Cancer Awareness!!!! Empty Triathlon for Testicular Cancer Awareness!!!!

Post by Preacha Man Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:14 am

OK Guys,

After finally signing up for the backcountry fitness challenge, and shedding 50 pounds, I have decided to begin training for sprint triathlons/5k runs (I know, call me crazy). The whole purpose for this is to raise awareness for testicular cancer, and to raise money for The Sean Kimerling Testicular Cancer Foundation. Most of you know that I am a testicular cancer survivor, and now I want to stay healthy!

I figure that if I can get some of the college guys and men around here to give themselves monthly checks, then they will have a lot less problems later. Testicular cancer is the #1 cancer in men under 40, and yet you always hear about other cancers first. It is also very treatable, if found EARLY, because it is also one of the fastest growing cancers there is. My lump was the the size of a split pea when I found it, and it took over 80% of my testicle in a month. Luckily I did find it soon, had it removed pale ,and followed up with 2 doses of Chemotherapy. It could have been a lot worse, and the only time I got sick was a few days after my Chemo treatments.

I still need to raise money for my triathlon gear, namely a good tri/road bike, but I know that I can run a lot better than I use to and I can do that for free Wink. I will have all Summer to train, and I am looking at a triathlon in Texas that is in August, and another one in Kansas that is in September. I really like to swim, bike, and run, now to do long distances with all three combined Shocked .

Am I "nuts" lol! for thinking about this? Do you all think that it may be difficult to find people/businesses willing to donate? Oh well, check 'em guys.

P.S. As far as raising money goes. . . I take paypal, cash, check, old bikes, helmets, swim goggles, etc. Wink
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Triathlon for Testicular Cancer Awareness!!!! Empty Re: Triathlon for Testicular Cancer Awareness!!!!

Post by Preacha Man Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Ok, I have been running off and on for a while now, and there are times when my right knee really hurts after I run. Today while I was hiking/running the Lake Fayetteville Trail, I really thought that I was going to have to reconsider doing a triathlon Sad . When I finished the trail, my knee was really hurting me so I drove straight to Fleet Feet Sports in Fayetteville. They studied my gait, and fit me for the right show for me! I got a pair of Brooks Dyad 5 running shoes with Sole Softec Ultra heat moldable custom footbeds, and for added measure, I picked up a pair of Injinji Performance socks Very Happy. I tried them in the store, and then went to the Farmington City Park Trail. They are great, my knee still hurts from this morning, but not near as bad. I really hope that these shoes help me out, and I may go in later and get fit for some new hiking shoes Wink, just don't tell Amanda.
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down