Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE!

5 posters

Go down

Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE! Empty Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE!

Post by colt1911carry Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:54 am

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?s=9413443

(Shelby County, TN 11/25, 2008) Robert Ocampo, 19, of Brunswick, has been charged with Reckless
Endangerment after he shot a man while hunting.

Investigators say Ocampo was deer hunting with a friend near some TVA power lines along Germantown Road just east of Old Brownsville Road Monday evening.

Investigators say Ocampo told Sheriff's deputies he heard a rustling noise in the woods and fired his 30.06 rifle thinking an animal was about to charge him.

That shot went about 20 yards hitting Jay Wahlig.

Wahlig, had gone to the area to set raccoon traps near the banks of Buck Head Creek, was shot in the shoulder.
Deputies say the two men could not see each other and it didn't help that Wahlig had on dark clothes.

Deputies say, "Wahlig hollered when he was shot. Investigators say Ocampo and his hunting partner immediately went to Wahlig's aid and called 911. Wahlig was taken to the Regional Medical Center where he remains in stable condition."

Ocampo did have a valid hunting license.

(Since it is hunting season out there, please make sure you wear your orange or other bright colors during your hikes this season. This story is in Memphis, but it could happen anywhere. - Colt1911Carry )
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE! Empty Re: Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE!

Post by ouachita hiker Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Colt,

Modern gun season is over till the Christmas hunt, Dec. 26th to 28th. The last two Sats. I was in the Caney Creek Wilderness and didn't see a hunter.

OH
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE! Empty Re: Hunter Charged In Shooting - WEAR YOUR ORANGE!

Post by colt1911carry Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Actually, for most areas of the state, you are correct. However there are various zones that have hunting with modern gun all the way through December 28th with no breaks.

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/deer/seasondates-deer.aspx

However, you can end up just as dead with a .50 caliber muzzleloader round or an arrow in you, and both of those are open all over the place right now. Be careful everyone.
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyHkr Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:05 pm

I usually put one of the orange mesh vests over my pack. I put the top lid straps thru the arm holes so it does not fall off. It weighs 2 oz. ..A small price to pay for a bit of safety.
HillbillyHkr
HillbillyHkr
Backcountry Explorer

http://community.webshots.com/user/HillbillyHkr

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Good idea, Hillbilly. Just make sure you grab it and put it on your person if you do any day hikes from your base camp. Smile
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:16 pm

When I was at Kyles Landing on opening day, some hikers bought a cheap plastic vest, cut it in half, and then pinned it to their packs. I think they said it cost like $.98. I thought that was a pretty good idea, it always pays to be safe.

Dwight
Preacha Man
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:20 pm

I would not be caught uh.. "Dead" without mine on. Esp. when your dealing with wilderness areas and national parks and the such where hunting is allowed. I cant tell you how many hunters I have walked up on that never knew I was even there.. or that I did not know they were there. WEAR THE ORANGE.. Colt.. hahahah
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ouachita hiker Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:47 am

Not trying to drag this on because this is personal decision, I used the link provided above and there isn't a a modern gun hunt or muzzle loading hunt in any of the ozarks or the ouachitas at this time. Yes there is bow hunt state wide. I agree with Tim Ernest in that you are safer in the woods during any hunt than in the city or towns. Most of my hiking of late has been in wilderness areas. I haven't seen a hunter, guess because they won't walk very far from there trucks or atv's!
ouachita hiker
ouachita hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 am

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." (or 2 ounces if you get one like HillBillyHiker)
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Well.. a pound of prevention.. you get the idea. In the above story what gets me is that everyone is missing the 2 main points. #1 is that the shot that was fired was made from 20 yards.. guys.. thats 60 feet. And neiter knew that the other was there. #2 is that the guy shot cause he heard a "movement" in the brush.. Got him a real nice "Brush Shot".. I have heard people talk about this.. affraid Also whats not in the story is that neither was really suppose to be in the area hunting.. Hunting and traping is suppose to be limited in that area. This is just outside the city limits. I have walked upon people hunting from the BRT trail... uh "out of session as well" and I have seen hunters on 4 wheelers down at the Glory Hole. Guys they are out there and some don't care what they are doing or what they shoot. Be safe.. wear a condom... hahahaha perferably bright orange hahahaha
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down