Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making a Hiking Camera Bag

3 posters

Go down

Making a Hiking Camera Bag Empty Making a Hiking Camera Bag

Post by willky1 Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 pm

I am going to try to make a camera bag/hiking backpack. I know what a camera bag looks like, and I know what a hiking backpack looks like, so I'm going to give combining them a go. However, before I get going, I wanted to see if any of you guys had an ideas, or knew of anything that I would really wish I had put in there. I am thinking about making a bag that has a top section that has some structure (provided by ccf pieces). I will also make compartments and line them with fleece (unless there is something better). The reason I am putting this in the top of the pack is to protect the camera goods from having the bag thrown down on them. The bottom would be a better weight distribution, but the top will be safer. However, this will make the bag top heavy since my camera gear is almost the weight of everything else that I take when I go backpacking. The only other idea that I have come up with is buying a commercial chest pack or bags that would fit on a belt (which I'd put on a hip belt).

So, if there are any ideas, shoot. And don't feel bad, this is just an idea right now. I might decide that this would be a bad idea. So if you feel like it is, let me know. Don't be shy, I'm not. And as always, Thanks for the help ya'll!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Making a Hiking Camera Bag Empty Re: Making a Hiking Camera Bag

Post by ulhiker Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 am

Are you wanting the camera and its components to be accessible while walking or strickly to be carried and taken out at times of your choosing? Also, to save from having the pack too top heavy, what if you made the pack with padded side and front packets. When you have your pack loaded, this should prevent any sagging of your pack or poor weight distribution.
Just a couple of initial thoughts,
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:07 pm

The padded side pockets are a good idea. I don't see why I would have to have all the gear in one spot on the bag. I wouldn't mind having the camera quickly accessable. Those are some great thoughts. Like I said I'm still thinking through this. Keep the ideas coming.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

You could have one or two padded side pockets for various lenses, if you needed them, and then a padded chest pocket for your camera so that it would be accessible. 'Course, we may not be talking UL gear at this point.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Well I can keep the weight low by padding the compartments with ccf pads, and lining them with a light weight fabric. I just don't know what to line the compartments with.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Silnylon or a nylon tafetta? Fleece may be too heavy for your needs.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 pm

would those fabrics keep from scratching the lens? or screen?
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by ulhiker Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't think that silnylon will scratch a lense. Something else you might think about is making individual stuff sacks for each of your lenses out of a material that won't scratch them and then put them into a padded side pocket.
UL
ulhiker
ulhiker
Mountain Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Also keep it small.. the old rule is the same as a pack. The more room you have, the more stuff you will carry. Camera, 2 lens max, extra battery, and a cleaning cloth for the lens and at least a cicular polorizer and maybe a graduated Netural Density filter that will fit both lens. Always buy filters sized to the largest lens you have and just use a step down ring for the smaller lenses. Saves a LOT of weight doing this. This would be MAX. I prob. would leave a telephoto lens at home and go for a short wide angle lens that would zoom out to about 80 to 90mm... uh unless your only talking about a point and shoot... lol then forget it... one battery and a cleaning cloth.
Eddie
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 am

Guess all I have to do now is to make the bag. Finding time will be the problem. I'm visualizing a backpack with a padded pocket (almost like a water bottle pocket) on each side, a padded pocket on the front, and thats it. That should hold all the fragile stuff. It'll be a while till I'm done, but I'll post pics when I've finished.
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey Kyle what about some of the nice small camera cases and stuff sacks straped to the outside of your pack. I know loops are usually not that difficult to put on and from our talks I know your capable. I use to use some simalar on the outside of one of my Kelty external frames. God I miss that pack... its almost 20 years old now and the person I gave it to told me its still going strong.. lol.
Eddie
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:02 pm

That could work too, but I've already started on the body of the bag. Plus, I gotta do something with my time Very Happy!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:40 pm

hahahaha yea I figured that about the time I hit send.
Eddie
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down