Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please...Help me with my website!

5 posters

Go down

Please...Help me with my website! Empty Please...Help me with my website!

Post by willky1 Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm

My website (if you want to call it that) is kind of a pet project that could be compared to a neglected dog. I don't really know what I'm doing, and a lot of times I just can't get to it to do what I want to. So, my first question would be...what should I call it? Right now it is "Light Weight Backpacking" which is dumb. I gain nothing from this website except for a little entertainment, and some joy when I see others are coming to this site. Other than that I just use it to keep track of all my projects and resources that have to do with backpacking. So, could someone more creative than I am help me come up with a good name for the site? It is geared toward lightweight backpacking and I would like that to be conveyed in the name. Also, does anyone know a good website hosting place that I could get a domain name? I need it to be easy to use, and I doubt there is one easier than weebly. Thanks ya'll!
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Please...Help me with my website! Empty Re: Please...Help me with my website!

Post by birddog Tue May 20, 2008 5:33 pm

birddog
birddog
News Guru
News Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey Tue May 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Kyle... I actually like your site. Its slick and clean. Very easy to view and actually has content. lol thats usable. Good colour and its actually easy to view.. aka, easy on the eyes. I for one vote that you should not change anything. Maybe more pics... lol. As far as hosting, I have always used yahoo for all my projects in the past, and have set up many a commercial site on the yahoo platform. Not free by any means, but its what I learned ftp and all that jazz on. I like it. There are tons out there though and I say as long as they do not force free advertising (ads for their service is ok) then they are ok by me.
Eddie
Trail Monkey
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

Back to top Go down

Post by colt1911carry Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 pm

I use GoDaddy.com for all of my domain / email hosting and domain name purchases. For $3.99 a month I have tons of space and bandwidth allowances. The interface is easy to use. You can choose to be hosted on a Windows or Linux server (I am on a Linux myself for PhP and MySQL). I have used them for about 3 years now without any problems at all.
colt1911carry
colt1911carry
News Hound
News Hound

http://www.thepaxtonfamily.com/blog/category/hiking-backpacking-

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu May 22, 2008 10:16 pm

First of all, Kyle, why do you need your own website when such a fine establishment as Arkansas Backcountry is open to you 24/7/365?

Laughing Just joshin' ya man!

I know what you mean about having the right name. It's always a tough decision. I must've gone through 20 names for this website before I settled on AB... (This place was almost called "Ozarks Off-Trail", "Southern Backcountry", amongst other, worse, names!)

As with all things, simplicity is the name of the game. Google, Yahoo, eBay...all painfully simple and universally recognizable.

I realize that you're doing the website just for fun, so don't put too much pressure on yourself, but think deeply about what you really want to say with your little corner of the web. If you were opening a physical business and you yourself were greeting customers as they came in the door, what would you want your shirt to say on it?

Think deep my friend. Look for more than just what your website should be labeled. Look for something that describes what you are striving for - after all, lightweight backpacking is, in itself, a journey.

I know I didn't help much, but maybe this will help you focus your thoughts. Keep asking yourself: What is it I'm REALLY trying to do?
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 Thu May 22, 2008 11:19 pm

Thats a good way to look at it. Thanks Jay!

Oh and between those three names, you definantly picked the best one Very Happy
willky1
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down