Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...
Arkansas Backcountry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting electronic w-9s (and maybe W-8BEN)

Go down

Collecting electronic w-9s (and maybe W-8BEN) Empty Collecting electronic w-9s (and maybe W-8BEN)

Post by Roads007 Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:43 am

A while back I signed up for an affiliate program and part of the sign up process involved me filling out a w-9 online. It looked like the standard w-9 format you can find online at [irs.gov...]

At the time I thought this was a great idea because collecting w-9s can be a pain. Getting information upfront during registration would eliminate one headache down the road.

Now a year or two later I am creating a new site and I thought it would be nice to implement the same type of process to capture w-9s. Unfortunately, I can't remember the site that collected the w-9 at sign up so I can look at the actual process they use in more detail to refresh my memory. I do remember that I just had to fill it in but I don't think I had to sign and fax anything.

1.) Will collecting a w-9 electronically satisfy the IRS? If so, are there any special electronic signature requirements?

2.) Can anyone give me W-9 their collection process tips?

3.) What about the W-8BEN (w-9 for payees outside the U.S.). I have read that it is only needed for those that are non-U.S. but file a U.S. return for some reason.

4.) Or.. maybe it is better to let people register quickly and when/if they make money, tell them I need a W-9 faxed before I can pay them.

Warehouse Shelving|Pallet Racking

Roads007
Real Backpacker

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum